Foam brushes!

RichardA

I've used a foam brush exactly once!  It sucked!  No doubt it was a very cheap one, though I don't remember where I got it, it just showed up one day in my Misc. stuff!  My question is this:   Are there quality foam brushes? And who sells them? And how do you tell a good brush from a bad brush, by looking at them?  Thank's for any responses!

Rick, I've found that the ones Walmart sell are as good or better than others. The wood handle has a small plastic tab that supports the foam. The ones from Walmart have a longer tab that goes out closer to the end of the brush, therefore preventing the foam brush from folding over as you apply the finish. They are also less expensive than HD's and Rockler.

Yes.  Jen brand foam brushes are available at Amazon and jamesdistributors.  The cheap imports tend to flop around due to lousy foam, lousy stiffners and they can often pop out of the handle due to lousy attachment.

The Jen brand foam brushes are American made, still cheap, have better foam, have a better internal stiffner, have better attachment to the stick.  All these things make a huge difference for painting products such as general finishes high performance and milk paints.  Wooster brand foam brushes are sold at Amazon, Home Depot and Lowes.  They are also excellent due to good foam, good stiffener, and good attachment but the price is much higher than the Jen brushes.  You do get a nicer handle which I think is unnecessary for the cost increase.   Jen Brushes are also available in multiple widths which can be useful.

I have not used the foam brushes on any non-waterborne products so certain solvents may affect them.

14 minutes ago, Hurricane Dry said:

Yes.  Jen brand foam brushes are available at Amazon and jamesdistributors.  The cheap imports tend to flop around due to lousy foam, lousy stiffners and they can often pop out of the handle due to lousy attachment.

The Jen brand foam brushes are American made, still cheap, have better foam, have a better internal stiffner, have better attachment to the stick.  All these things make a huge difference for painting products such as general finishes high performance and milk paints.  Wooster brand foam brushes are sold at Amazon, Home Depot and Lowes.  They are also excellent due to good foam, good stiffener, and good attachment but the price is much higher than the Jen brushes.  You do get a nicer handle which I think is unnecessary for the cost increase.   Jen Brushes are also available in multiple widths which can be useful.

I have not used the foam brushes on any non-waterborne products so certain solvents may affect them.

Aren't you just a fountain of foam brush knowledge. That's good to know & thanks for the info.

Just checked on Amazon.ca & the Jen 2" foam brushes are $13.43 CDN for a 48 pack. That would be cheaper than free to you Americans.

• Like 1

I usually use a high quality Corona brush for hand painting Benjamin Moore Advance or PPG Breakthrough as well as the primers for each.  Sometimes I roll and back brush.

The Jen foam brushes are perfect for putting down General Finishes High Performance.  You can get a very smooth finish because it puts down the right amount and absorbs the extra for a stroke free finish.  I've used them on already assembled drawers and was pleased with the results.  One day, I'll get a sprayer.  But for now, and also for small jobs, or touch ups, the Jen brand foam comes in handy.

Recently, I started using foam brushes on the first few coats of waterlox, and wiping on the final layer. I like the foam brushes for an even heavier-than-wiping coat of finish. Does anyone reuse brushes, or just pitch them? Thanks for the heads up on brushes from amazon. 

I need someone to explain to me why 48 2" brushes are $18 american for me and $10 american for the Canadians. 

Aren't you just a fountain of foam brush knowledge. That's good to know & thanks for the info.

Just checked on Amazon.ca & the Jen 2" foam brushes are $13.43 CDN for a 48 pack. That would be cheaper than free to you Americans.

Wow I got screwed. I think i paid 2.50$ each. Oh well. I only bought a couple. Spraying is where its at !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I need someone to explain to me why 48 2" brushes are $18 american for me and $10 american for the Canadians. 

For once you guys are getting screwed ! I love it !!

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Wow I got screwed. I think i paid 2.50$ each. Oh well. I only bought a couple. Spraying is where its at !

For once you guys are getting screwed ! I love it !!

Maybe, the Canadians are only getting 50 mm paint brushes and we are getting genuine 2" brushes?

I've never understood why people use foam brushes, I guess I've never used a good one - they always seem worse than awful, I much prefer bristle brushes. Are they supposed to work better than bristle brushes by applying finish smoother?

I guess a combination of oil-based finishes and cheap brushes has made me steer clear of them. Should I try again with better quality foam brushes?

I never used to use them but I found they are perfect when making routed signs. I paint the lower (routed) portions with a brush and then use a foam brush to finish and paint the high parts. I make sure to get most of the paint off the brush so there is no dripping liquid and then use it to skim over the top areas. It takes several coats but is easy to use and saves a lot of work compared to other methods. Bristle brushes want to get down in the cuts and just don't work for that. I've never been able to get any decent results using foam brushes on anything else but for this purpose they are perfect.

20160521_141119.jpg

• Like 1

Hurricane and Shane are right on, i don't have a sprayer and use foam all the time. the good ones are dense to the touch and a grey color with plastic in the middle for strength. i get mine at Menards,i put them in a plastic zip loc bag between coats then in the freezer between coats, works about twice then toss them

I like it for ARS. I first started using them at the suggestion of llama and immediately thought he or I one were idiots. I soon found it to be me as I was loading it up and ended up applying too much, especially where I touched the piece with it and where I removed the brush. Now I will remove quiet a bit around the underside of the lip of the can, before applying. It's like wooing a lady, success is with the finesse! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

Apparently these aren't so cheap in Canada after all... the 48 pack was over $33 in shipping! Changed my mind on that impulse buy.

Ahhh, all is right with the world once again. 

next project I have, I will probably buy the 36 count of 3" brushes. I like the wide ones the most for consistent application. 

34 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

Apparently these aren't so cheap in Canada after all... the 48 pack was over $33 in shipping! Changed my mind on that impulse buy.

Yeah, shipping would have been $68 to Calgary. I didn't mention shipping cause I just wanted to have a moment of Canadian glory, even if it was false.

• Like 1