Can you polyurethane directly over boiled linseed oil?

I know that some oil blends like "Danish Oil" have an oil (tung/linseed/walnut) a solvent (min. spirits) and polyurethane all mixed together. So, I imagine the answer is yes. But I have put a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and min. spirits on a piece of cherry. I was going to put on a shellac sand sealer just to be safe, but I'd really prefer not to. Can I just go straight wipe on poly over linseed oil? Or will it delaminate?

Yes you can but you need to wait for the oil to cure...could be a couple weeks or more, depending on how heavy you applied the oil and how deep it saturated.  Straight oil takes forever to fully cure.  Make sure it's totally dry to the touch before you proceed.  If you're still worried about it, your coat of shellac will be a good insurance policy.

For future reference (and don't feel alone here because it's SO common)...IMO a coat of BLO before you apply wipe-on poly is nothing more than a waste of time and materials.  A finish like ARS or Minwax wipe-on poly is gonna bring out the warmth and richness of the wood just as well as BLO.  For me it's just an unnecessary step and I haven't done it since I had the revelation many moons ago.  Try out test boards next time if you need to prove it to yourself...I guarantee your eye won't see a difference.

Now, if you're worried about blotch on cherry, starting with a coat of shellac can be a helpful first step.  I tend to forego it because I like the natural look, but at least it has a practical purpose, unlike the BLO.

• Like 1