Cabriole Thing

davewyo

21 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I've apparently missed a few of your updates. It's looking fantastic, Dave!

Thanks Shane! I've been very sporadic in my shop time lately. Work and such has been getting in the way, plus I've been avoiding drilling these hinge mortises until I was 100% sure they would work (without me blowing through the rounded columns with a brad point) and I had tried several test drilling sessions. I always have a terrible time with hinges.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

I feel like I keep saying redundant things here but this is incredible. Are all of your future pieces going to be this elaborate? Have you set your personal bar to this crazy level?

I'm not sure what my next project will be. I have some QSWO put aside for a Stickley style taboret that was on my list, but I don't know if I'll do that next or what.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, davewyo said:

I'm not sure what my next project will be. I have some QSWO put aside for a Stickley style taboret that was on my list, but I don't know if I'll do that next or what.

I really like the ones with the through mortise and round tops in white oak.  I have seen them in antique shops and always admired them but, stupid me, never thought about making one.  Thanks for the idea Dave

12 minutes ago, Chet K said:

I really like the ones with the through mortise and round tops in white oak.  I have seen them in antique shops and always admired them but, stupid me, never thought about making one.  Thanks for the idea Dave

http://IMG_1384_zpsvxoywbgn.jpgGlad to help out. :)I'm going to copy one that belongs to my boss. Let me know if you want a copy of the drawing and measurements I made. 

34 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'm really excited to see th 'Thing' begin to take shape!

Me too, Ross! Pretty soon I should be able to glue up the case and dividers and such. I'm wracking my brain to figure out if there's any reason not to. In any event, "glue-up day" will certainly be notable. :D

• Like 1

Seeing that all in one piece now,... it's just incredible.  I was showing my wife these two pictures and she wanted to know what the toilet paper in the first picture was for.  I am guessing because you are getting ready for a glue up and your prepared for accidents in the pants. ;)  But seriously, she had the same thing to say as everybody else WOW!

• Like 2

Thanks, Gang! I appreciate the compliments and your patience. I know I'm not exactly buzzing along on this Thing these days.

9 minutes ago, Chet K said:

she wanted to know what the toilet paper in the first picture was for.  I am guessing because you are getting ready for a glue up and your prepared for accidents in the pants. ;) 

Ha Ha, Chet! That cracked me up!

Actually the TP is for blowing my nose. It's cold in my shop and my snout is running. Sad to say, I can't afford to use that fancy-pants Kleenex "facial tissues" in my shop. I put way too much of my hard earned coin into new tools!:)

Thanks everyone!

10 minutes ago, drzaius said:

If you're not careful, this thing could take over your whole shop :) 

It already has!

I haven't done anything much in my shop except the Thing since last July. But it has been a helpful skills building challenge the whole way, so I can't complain. :)

I fiddled around with the hinges but I still haven't corrected the upper left corner of the right door. I put in a magnet but it wasn't strong enough to pull the gap closed. I may end up having to go with the ball-and-spring type closures.

I'm not real fond of these little SOSS hinges. After putting the hinges in and pulling them out numerous times during the fitting there is too much slop in the rivets that make the hinge swing. Once the rivets get a bit sloppy the hinges don't seem to close into the exact same place twice. I got a second set of hinges that I will try to put in once and leave them in.

I cut some mirror glass to see how that will look.

http://IMG_0938_zps02hcfylm.jpg

• Like 2