The Studley Tool Chest of Workshops

I am not going to make a habit of redundant posts between my blog and the forum, but I just couldn't resist here. Would love to get your comments on this guy's shop. Is he a genius or just plain crazy? Honestly, as much as I love tools, this shop is just way too cramped for me. I like to spread my wings and fly in my shop. Check it out!

I am not going to make a habit of redundant posts between my blog and the forum, but I just couldn't resist here. Would love to get your comments on this guy's shop. Is he a genius or just plain crazy? Honestly, as much as I love tools, this shop is just way too cramped for me. I like to spread my wings and fly in my shop. Check it out!

It actually looks extremely organized, but I'd be paralyzed with that much stuff. I always leave, at least, 2 1/2 feet between everything. How can he even move a project through there?

I agree with Dave, the spinning wheel of fasteners at 2:20 caught my eye. At 3:00 also there are three wheels against the wall.

If he has that much money to burn on tools, he should save some for an expansion. You couldn't build much of anything in there. Or at least I couldn't.

Roller outfeed manufacturers must love his shop; i swear the pencil sharpener must have one, too ;)

I will say that it's the first time I see a pegboard panel above a table saw so the material can go underneath it, but give you storage above. Granted, royal PITA to push 8/4 material through and pull it back without a trip around the jointer corner to pick it up on the outfeed.

Nah, I'll keep my shop :)

Well, let's face it, what shop is complete without a microwave oven?

That guy is nuts.. How the hell does he even get a sheet of ply to his table saw let alone manage to cut it on the saw?

That place is far too clean as well. He obviously doesn't do any work in there.

That guy is nuts.. How the hell does he even get a sheet of ply to his table saw let alone manage to cut it on the saw?

Ply on the table saw? That's for amateurs! He's got a panel saw for that! My question isn't how he cuts a full sheet of ply, but how he get's it down and through there to put on the panel saw to begin with.

OT but related question: to me, he's a collector as the shop isn't very useful even if you feel the tables are larger than they look... the panel saw is buried in the back where ply could hardly be moved, the planer has some junk in the way making longer boards impossible, etc. Although I admit all the short boards -everywhere- make me wonder what he builds... small boxes? then why a panel saw....

Anyway, if he's a collector, why set it up for action and never use it? I mean people collect Bridge City stuff and hide it in a closet taking it out to creepily admire occasionally. Why buy a tool as a collector then set it up with roller tables and everything?

Second, why would you collect a current model DeWalt lunchbox planer, current model Jet DC, etc. They are commodity (not saying they are bad, but it isn't like a difficult thing to get ahold of, like collectors look for).

Don't get it. Maybe he took kickback to the head so reasoning isn't in the equation.

Anyway, if he's a collector, why set it up for action and never use it? I mean people collect Bridge City stuff and hide it in a closet taking it out to creepily admire occasionally. Why buy a tool as a collector then set it up with roller tables and everything?

Besides "real woodworkers" and "collectors", there are other types. Some people just want to build the ultimate shop, and imagine all the cool stuff they can make in it, but never actually get around to building anything besides stuff for the shop.

It's kinda like model railroading - it's not just collecting engines and cars; you want to build a layout that looks realistic and amazing, and you pick buildings, cars, engines etc based on what a real railroad would have, but a real railroad actually moves freight to and from places. A model railroad just looks like it does, so if the rails just loop around and don't go anywhere, that's OK. But you still want to get stuff that looks like what a real railroad would have.

Another example are people who build the ultimate sailboat, but never actually launch it and sail in it. Why spend money on expensive navigational electronics if you aren't going to sail it? Because I'm making the ultimate sailboat, and the ultimate sailboat will have cool navigational electronics! Besides, I want to imagine using all the cool stuff when I imagine sailing it. Plus, who says I'm never going to sail it - I will, when it's finished!

If you're a hobbyist, then why do anything? Because you want to, and it brings you pleasure.

Besides,I think I saw some small boxes in progress. This might be an OK shop for someone who makes small boxes, toys, and other small things.

i think you are missing one important fact he started when he was 14 and has been working for 60 years on that. he has routers that work that were made in the 1950s. I have issues getting rid of stuff and I could see myself having a shop like that if i had been doing it that long as well. If the tools all still work why get rid of them, it is an impressive collection.

I was most impressed by how organized it was. there is no way my shop would be that organized. I have a small fraction of stuff and my shop looks way more cluttered.

he he in reference to marc, are you a peacock, do you need to fly? :)

btw thats reference to a movie lol

The shop and the effort are impressive, regardless of whether or not it is my dream shop. I believe it was in one of the "Dream Shop" magazines a few years ago from Wood maybe. From the link on TWW, the guy says he won a national sweepstakes to find the "best shop" in North America. The prize was a bunch of Dewalt tools, which could explain the planer someone mentioned.

This is just a personal rant, but I would sure like to see Dewalt (or whoever) give a shop's worth of tools to someone who actually needed them. How about looking for the "most pitiful" shop in North America? I could have a shot at that!

Holy Mackerel, Welcome to Berland's house of tools. There has to be a method to the madness. You know that old saying, the guy with the most tools when he dies wins? He's bucking for first.

Yea, that wheel of fasteners at the 2:20 mark was intriguing, I was looking for the numbers around the edge so we could play Keno. I was looking for the betting table!!!

His shop reminds me of an old timer in my old neighborhood. He worked at a machining company his entire life. He , however , had a bad habit of stealing one fitting a day and bringing it home. Well, he worked there for 52 years before he retired. His basement was loaded with over 5 tons of brass that he had accumulated. Had it all on shelves and everything was marked, nothing was bigger than his lunch box(means of transport) but they were his mementos of everything he did at his job. After he passed away, his son sold it all for scrap. I wished I had taken some photo's of that basement. It took three guys 3 days to empty that basement.