The Studley Tool Chest of Workshops

I am not going to make a habit of redundant posts between my blog and the forum, but I just couldn't resist here. Would love to get your comments on this guy's shop. Is he a genius or just plain crazy? Honestly, as much as I love tools, this shop is just way too cramped for me. I like to spread my wings and fly in my shop. Check it out!

I am not going to make a habit of redundant posts between my blog and the forum, but I just couldn't resist here. Would love to get your comments on this guy's shop. Is he a genius or just plain crazy? Honestly, as much as I love tools, this shop is just way too cramped for me. I like to spread my wings and fly in my shop. Check it out!

I would love to have the tools in twice the space

The shop and the effort are impressive, regardless of whether or not it is my dream shop. I believe it was in one of the "Dream Shop" magazines a few years ago from Wood maybe. From the link on TWW, the guy says he won a national sweepstakes to find the "best shop" in North America. The prize was a bunch of Dewalt tools, which could explain the planer someone mentioned.

This is just a personal rant, but I would sure like to see Dewalt (or whoever) give a shop's worth of tools to someone who actually needed them. How about looking for the "most pitiful" shop in North America? I could have a shot at that!

'll beat you in that most needed catagory

hey Joe - don't you know peacocks can't fly? ;)

the most amazing part of his shop to me was that among all that unbelievable use of space, he managed to hang a 4ft porter cable sign up on the wall.

To each his own. Whether your craft is your livelihood, your hobby, or just an excuse to build a man cave that your wife is too fearful to enter, you shop is your shop. If he feels at home and comforted in his space then it's perfect for him. If his set up helps him or makes him more efficient then it's a bonus. Bois' shop is small (even with the new addition), efficient, and spotless and he produces some beautiful and inspiring work. Charger's shop is a bit bigger, cluttered, and full of sawdust and he too makes some elegant pieces and creates innovative Adirondack furniture that keep his customers coming back for more. They both feel at home in their shops because it's comfortable to them - and that frees up their mind to create and focus on the craft. Frankly, I envy all of them.

I was awed by the pictures and video of Jacques' 1800 square foot workshop, tool collection, storage options, and, and, and,,,,,,,,, The only thing that really puzzled me was how he manages to maneuver large pieces around the shop from station to station and where he has enough room for gluing up peices.

I must admit, he has everything but sawdust! How can you keep THAT many tools THAT clean even if you don't use them? I get cobwebs on things up on shelves that I don't use for a few weeks!

I also wonder, how did he get all those larger items into the BASEMENT and then find a place to put them? They almost HAD to come in in pieces and assembled in the proper spot.

As far as room, I would get closterphobia (sp) trying to build a bird house in that shop. Sorry but, I need to move around now and then and I do like to see sunshine or even rain from time to time.

I do wish I had SOME of his tools but, in an above ground shop with some room to use them.

Rog

I was happy I own a few tools that he doesn't have. I was pretty amazed at the power feeders and lifts on everything. That is a lot of money going into just making a tool more usable. Hard to say though, he's been in one spot for so many years, it probably didn't look like that 10-15 years ago. Its also possible he hunts auctions all the time and just can't sell anything off.

I will agree it was a dumb idea of DeWalt to give tools to someone with the ultimate workshop. Maybe they should have given him lumber.

So... Someone said something about if he had the money to buy all that crap he could have expanded... You never know. I am guessing that is a basement and if it is in a city like Chicago... there is no such thing as expansion. You get a 20x40 lot and that's IT. Short of making a sub basement or taking over the upstairs... you are sol on more space.

I dunno... place reminds me of my father-in-law's.... maybe crowded but he ALWAYS has a tool for whatever weird job needs to get done.

To each their own.