Dial indicator and machinist straight edge recommendation

Froe

Just finished assembling my Hammer A3-31 jointer / planer.   I want to verify set-up is within limits.  I am pretty particular about good quality tools but I cannot justify the expense of a  Starrett dial indicator and straight edge.  Any recommendations? 

I have been very satisfied with the Veritas 36" steel straight edge and an inexpensive dial indicator.  Lee Valley's long feelers really help out on machine setup as well.  For machine setup the dial indicator just as to be reasonable IMHO. 

I am not measuring the actual value of something; I am measuring the difference between different points.  One that read in .001" and has a range of an inch (or even less) has worked for me for many years.

Attaching the gauge to other items makes it even more useful.

Rotocator-poor-mans.jpg

22124 Alingment 004.jpg

• Like 1

I have cheap dial indicators, and some good ones that I was given (a lifetime machinist and teacher of machining and welding left me all his tools).  For woodworking machine setup, I can't see the benefit in spending a large amount of money on a dial indicator.  A thousandth of an inch is really more than it sounds like, and the cheap ones work fine.

I bought a fancy setup for aligning table saws, including the accurate plate to mount in place of the blade.  I used that setup once on each table saw, and it's been in the "setup" toolbox ever since.  I'm sure I could align a table saw just fine by feel, but the plate makes it easier than a pretensioned saw blade.

The dial indicators for setting jointer and planer knives (came from Powermatic in the '70s) hasn't been used for decades, although such blades have been changed many times since the last time I used them.

• Like 1

Assuming you just spent $3500-4000 on a machine, I wouldn't skimp on tuning instruments. You didn't buy a grizzly machine, so why buy the equivalent of a grizzly in your setup gear? If you need to set feed rollers and cutterhead knives I like the one way a lot. I have the Lee valley aluminum straight edge and a 24" starrett steel rule. The Lee valley straight edge is good stuff. 

All talk of dial indicators and straight edges aside, for the 6 month wait time and price tag on that machine, why don't they send Harry to your house to calibrate the thing?

• Like 2