gee-dub

Greene and Greene Inspired 9 Drawer Dresser

Awesome.  You do beautiful work man.  Clean.  I appreciate your attention to detail.

But shame on you for those metal slides.  We can talk about that later. :)

• Like 2

I am on the fence on metal slides.  He did a nice job recessing them so it does look nice and clean.  For a functional item that is used everyday they are very practical.  I have huge humidity swings in my house, about 20% in the winter and 60%+ in the summer, and that is with HVAC running 365, 24/7.  A friction fit drawer simply won't work, I don't care what anyone says. Side hung wood slides do work, but will be loose in the winter.   

The undermount slides like the ones Blum makes are more expensive but they work very well. Plus you can get the soft close feature. But I guess it's a little late for this project.

• Like 2

Really beautiful work, gee-dub! Great attention to detail from grain/figure selection to putting the small radius on the sanding block to match the trim blocks. Great work!

Great.work..Like.the.idea.of.undermount.slides.but.never.have.used.them..I.think.you.dado.the.bottom.of.draw

Typical undermount slides need a 1/2 deep recess under the drawer bottom. A knotch is cut on both sides at the rear of the drawer and a catch/ locking device is screwed on in both front corners.

Usually either 1/2" or 5/8" thick drawer sides are accommodated . A 5/16 to 3/8 clearance gap is left on both sides of the drawer. It's smart to get the slides first and do a sample/test drawer so you understand the process before you make the drawers.

Blum and Grass make a good product that has adjustments to get the drawer level and plumb. Some of the cheaper off brand undermount slides are harder to install with less or no adjustments. I tried 2 off brands and the savings is not worth the time and frustration.

• Like 2

I just noticed the cloud lift built into the drawer fronts. That is an incredible feature ! Consider me completely impressed .

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of G&G but, certainly appreciate the craftsmanship and attention to detail!  Also, I like what you did with the drawer glides!

On July 22, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Lester Burnham said:

How long have you been woodworking, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks Lester.  Long ago and far away I had a small business making sound reinforcement speaker cabinets.  These were basically lock mitered plywood boxes that were coated with fiberglass a-la 1970's Cerwin-Vega.  Nothing much like the furniture I always wanted to make but, junior high woodshop paid off a bit and I managed to keep all my digits.  Life intervened and after a nearly 30 year hiatus I started making furniture about 10 years ago. 

I have a day job so clients need to be patient.  Four months to deliver a relatively complex piece is not unusual.  So far word of mouth keeps me busy but, I hope to retire before I get too tired to enjoy it and make more pieces per year.  This may require a lot of naps but, we'll see ;)

• Like 2