Opinions on Laguna Tools?


Recommended Posts

That's exactly what it smells like plus a bit more foul.  There are a lot of things that smell worse but didn't expect it in the shop when we started cutting that big hunk of wood.  Gotta' admit, though, a 14" resaw that thin is impressive.  It's a great saw and blade combo!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the 1412 bandsaw and the fusion table saw and I love them both.. I have heard horror stories about their customer service, but I have had great experiences with them so far so I can't complain. I like their products and they are comparable to other brands in the same price range etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I bought a Force 3 table saw in May of 2020 and STILL don't have all the parts.  Very poor quality and their shipping, quality control along with the horrible customer service made me file a complaint with the better business bureau.  I would stay away from them.  Customer service makes a lot of promises that things have been shipped, when in fact they have not.  Mangers hide behind voice mails and don't return calls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Jonathan McCully said:

I’m planning to buy the 220V 14bx bandsaw once I get moved in to my new shop. It’s seemed to have reviewed really well and should hopefully be big enough for anything that I ever would need to do.

I would take a really hard look at the Harvey (no affiliation) C14. It appears to be identical to the Laguna LT14SUV (very well reviewed) that's $1999 at Rockler, other than the blade guides, and I prefer the Harvey style to the ceramic on the Laguna. I got a flyer the other day that had the Harvey at $1299, normally $1699. Even at that price it's a bargain, IMO. 3HP, rack and pinion table tilt, dual dust ports, dual position rip fence, cast iron wheels, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mick S said:

I would take a really hard look at the Harvey (no affiliation) C14. It appears to be identical to the Laguna LT14SUV (very well reviewed) that's $1999 at Rockler, other than the blade guides, and I prefer the Harvey style to the ceramic on the Laguna. I got a flyer the other day that had the Harvey at $1299, normally $1699. Even at that price it's a bargain, IMO. 3HP, rack and pinion table tilt, dual dust ports, dual position rip fence, cast iron wheels, etc.

Thanks for the info @Mick S. Hadn’t ever heard of Harvey until you started throwing out their sales last week. I’m always a bit leery of brands that I don’t recognize, do they have a good reputation among woodworkers? Seems like those two saws are nearly identical except for price and even look nearly identical. And it says on their website that they had sold 15k of their previous 14” model under different branding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonathan McCully said:

I’m always a bit leery of brands that I don’t recognize, do they have a good reputation among woodworkers?

Others could probably address this better than I can. I know very little about them other than that Bridge City Tools was bought out by them. IMO, that says a lot. John Economaki, BCT founder, is known for his almost compulsive need for making the finest tools possible. I don't see him handing over his life's work to just any company. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonathan McCully said:

Thanks for the info @Mick S. Hadn’t ever heard of Harvey until you started throwing out their sales last week. I’m always a bit leery of brands that I don’t recognize, do they have a good reputation among woodworkers? Seems like those two saws are nearly identical except for price and even look nearly identical. And it says on their website that they had sold 15k of their previous 14” model under different branding.

Harvey is a good name they are just trying to enter the market. A lot of these companies are similar. I have a 14BX and like it. I personally love the ceramic gudes over ball bearing gudes. My guides will never wear or get loud or need replacement. The downside is they spark and it's weird but you get used to it, they also "supposedly" rob some power.... but a 3hp motor will never be taxed on a 14" saw in a hobby shop.

Ceramic guides are a european thing and is something they have been doing for a long time. It's a Ford VS Chevy debate there is no winner imo it's just preference.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a few little sparks from my Laguna guides but it's never bothered me. As for power loss, I would think it's so minimal as to be not even noticeable. The saw has never slowed down even on wide resaws.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have purchased four Laguna tools, is this order: 1412 band-saw, 8" parallelogram joiner, 19-38 drum sander and 20" planer. I've been happy with all of them and customer service has been good.

China is not Taiwan and Taiwan isn't China. These names are no more interchangeable than Canada and USA.

Geetech, a Taiwanese company, manufactures most of the top consumer brands of consumer machines, as shown by this page: http://www.geetech.com.tw/index.php/en/strategic-partenrship   My 8" Laguna joiner came with a Baileigh manual.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I think he's talking about their different approaches to manufacturing and quality. I have to agree, in my experience stuff from Taiwan is generally better quality than stuff from China. It's a philosophical difference perhaps. Different goals.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 121 Guests (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    29057
    Total Topics
    393187
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    21919
    Total Members
    1529
    Most Online
    Ambcdef
    Newest Member
    Ambcdef
    Joined