More Doucette and Wolfe

Eric.

4 hours ago, C Shaffer said:

I haven't seen him just use the miter as a smoother. He uses it almost every time he encounters changing grain direction. He smooths dovetail cases and apron tops this way. I think he was just going far enough into the case top so that he could work the dovetails down. You notice he moves to a standard plane a little later to smooth the field of the top. The miter plane caught my eye the first I saw him use it so I have tried to study why when I see it out. 

I have the same miter plane he's useing and have done the same thing as Eric mentions.What evers sharp.

I bet the guy in the video know he's got lots of sharpness still in his miter plane.Esp if he only used it to trim a few pieces most of the blade will still be keen.

Maybe a better word for it was leveling not smoothing.

10 hours ago, gee-dub said:

Always enjoy watching a craftsman at work.  Always something to pick up while watching someone who has a mature work method that they are very comfortable with.  With delivery times pushing the 24 month mark I would say the wait is well worth it. 

It makes me feel good just watching him; truly a step above many other fine craftsman and an inspiration.  After all that I guess I should state for the record that I don't really care for the style and this is a perfect example of where the art of the craft supersedes any preference for the specific style or period of the piece.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of traditional styles either but his mastery of the craft is all that matters.  Sharp blades and muscle memory are the stars of the show.  I'm always captivated by their videos and I'm not sure I've ever seen more compelling footage of a modern woodworker grinding it out.  If someone else can top it, please do share.

My thoughts on these guys are well known. Just a guy. A guy with a fantastic talent for making beautiful furniture. A talent that took years to hone. I used to say that most people in this forum could eventually make something that nice, but I'd say that it's likely in the 95th percentile. :)

I'd love to apprentice at his shop. I'd likely be sweeping the floor and sharpening blades... But, it would be fun.

4 hours ago, Llama said:

My thoughts on these guys are well known. Just a guy. A guy with a fantastic talent for making beautiful furniture. A talent that took years to hone. I used to say that most people in this forum could eventually make something that nice, but I'd say that it's likely in the 95th percentile.

95th percentile - Is that the top 5% or everyone below the top 5%? :)  We have this debate endlessly at work.  

Anyone who achieves that kind of mastery is in the top 1% of the top 1%.  There are few people on this forum or in the world who are even capable of rising to that level.  You have to spend many, many hours practicing (the Malcolm Gladwell 10,000 hour rule comes to mind) plus you have to have natural ability and the instinct for it.  I know Mel wants to pretend that anyone who puts their mind to something can accomplish anything if they try hard enough...but I just fundamentally disagree with that.  Some people have more talent than others, plain and simple.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Anyone who achieves that kind of mastery is in the top 1% of the top 1%.  There are few people on this forum or in the world who are even capable of rising to that level.  You have to spend many, many hours practicing (the Malcolm Gladwell 10,000 hour rule comes to mind) plus you have to have natural ability and the instinct for it.  I know Mel wants to pretend that anyone who puts their mind to something can accomplish anything if they try hard enough...but I just fundamentally disagree with that.  Some people have more talent than others, plain and simple.

Indeed... Quod natura non dat, Salmantica non praestat (what nature does not give, Salamanca does not lend).

55 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Agreed.  Its easy to get fooled by the fact that a lot of us, with some practice, can do a lot of what D&W are doing.  But few of us could ever do it all.  Even I could work that cleanly and get my dovetails that tight, I would never be able to do the carving.  My mind simply can't translate 2D into 3D like that.  If I drew a horse you'd think its a giraffe.  I couldn't even imagine carving those shells or a ball foot. Practice won't do it. . 

Gee mentioned a delivery date of 24 months, and if that's accurate, I would assume that he is working on other projects at the same time? Given the time that he spends of this piece, and the cost of the materials, how much does he sell them for?

Something like that highboy would surely sell for tens of thousands.  How many tens, I have no idea.  But it's not like this guy is batching out cutting boards.  This is museum quality work and he's selling to the richest people in the country.

6 hours ago, Eric. said:

I know Mel wants to pretend that anyone who puts their mind to something can accomplish anything if they try hard enough

That's not 100% accurate... I believe that with practice and dedication, a certain number of people can achieve what D&W are doing. I know I could, with the right leadership and practice (time). But I know by looking around at some of the stuff here that most people can't.

I think Mike hit something when he said:

5 hours ago, Mike. said:

Even I could work that cleanly and get my dovetails that tight, I would never be able to do the carving.  My mind simply can't translate 2D into 3D like that.

Some people here just don't have the desire to get that good at building at the level in which D&W do. Some of the people on here that are capable, simply don't have the clients that are willing to pay for it. Thinking in 3D is a skill. I think with practice Mike could get better, but I believe you have to have a certain level of natural ability to truly excel.

It's like music. Most people suck at it. Even when they really try. They weren't born with that 30% jump start to being great. Reminds me of this forum. Without sounding like a mean A-hole... it's just how it is. 

42 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I rhink most people, given enough time, motivation, and proper instruction, could master nearly any woodworking skill. Those with talent can master those skills much more quickly.

I don't know.  i really don't.  

I tried golf for about 3 years in my mid twenties.  Took weekly lessons with a good coach.  Went to the range a few times a week.  I tried hard and spent a lot of time at it.  After three years I still couldn't drive a ball.  Sometimes I would miss the ball.  Often times the club would hit the grass before it hit the ball.  When I did make contact the ball would go straight up or hook or slice.  I was pitiful.   I have literally no muscle memory when it comes to things like that.   Yes, that is an extreme example.   But for every guy who sucks like me there are countless others who practiced just as hard only to become average-ish recreational players. 

I do think woodworking takes a combination of skills that some people just don't have and that others will only develop to an average level.   And lots not even talk about the aesthetic part of woodworking, such as design and proportion.  Some people will never get that, guaranteed, but that is a little more subjective   

One key to success is to know your strengths and weaknesses, and play to your strengths.  That is true in woodworking, sports, work and life in general.   That is why I spend most of my time at work (where I am good), sometime woodworking (average) and no time golfing (terrible). 

Yeah, he's talented. If you want that, work towards it. I know for a fact Eric is talented enough to achieve that level of craftsmanship. Maybe not the carving, but the other... and if Eric disagrees, it's his own self doubt. 

We all decide on where we would rather spend our time. Right now in my life, I'd rather do other things than get great at dovetails. Quite frankly because they are so overdone. I'm sick of looking at them. Most of us can surface a slab by hand, and cut joinery. We prefer to use machines and a Domino. As much as we think we may want to achieve that level of excellence, we really don't or we would be working towards it. I haven't seen those guys on the wood forums talking about the best way to sharpen, or which plane to buy. 

10 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I rhink most people, given enough time, motivation, and proper instruction, could master nearly any woodworking skill. Those with talent can master those skills much more quickly.

To add on to Mike's sports analogy...how many baseball players have hit 60 home runs in a single season?  Eliminate steroids, now how many?  Why so few?  They all get the same amount of BP, give or take.  It boils down to natural talent.  A few exceptional people have it, the masses do not.  I don't care how much certain people practice, they will never achieve extraordinary skill.

Whether or not I'd be able to, I have no idea.  Unless something happens to my job and I'm forced to build for a living, I'll probably never find out because I can't envision another scenario in my life that would put my natural abilities to the test.  I'll just never put in all the hours needed to reach the top, even if I could make it.  Perhaps by the time I retire, but by then I will have lost some of my touch.

On July 25, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Eric. said:

Something like that highboy would surely sell for tens of thousands.

The maple and cherry desk was around the 5K range if I remember correctly. Honestly, it's close to the price range I'd pay for something of that caliber if I didn't want to make one. I have no idea what the highboy would sell for. Eric probably isn't far off though. 

To add on to Mike's sports analogy...how many baseball players have hit 60 home runs in a single season?  Eliminate steroids, now how many?  Why so few?  They all get the same amount of BP, give or take.  It boils down to natural talent.  A few exceptional people have it, the masses do not.  I don't care how much certain people practice, they will never achieve extraordinary skill.

Whether or not I'd be able to, I have no idea.  Unless something happens to my job and I'm forced to build for a living, I'll probably never find out because I can't envision another scenario in my life that would put my natural abilities to the test.  I'll just never put in all the hours needed to reach the top, even if I could make it.  Perhaps by the time I retire, but by then I will have lost some of my touch.

Meh, those guys just get old and die before they hit master level. I did say "with ENOUGH time", didn't I? ?