Wife Aggro Solutions

Chris H

I am in the process of finishing a new shop that is about 500' from the house.  I also have a young family.  As a result, my wife is concerned about her ability to get my attention when I am needed back at the house.  I don't think wiring anything that distance is a realistic option, nor will most wireless intercom systems I have seen.  I've already proven that I can completely ignore my cell phone buzzing like crazy in my pocket (if I remember to put it in my pocket).  

Does anyone have any creative solutions?  I am thinking something visual, since I am typically wearing hearing protection.  It would also need to be visually obnoxious to get my attention.  When I am in the zone, I tend to block out the world.  She recommended the dogs e-collar, but thankfully that doesn't have the range!

Well, I knew you guys would have fun with it!

Unfortunately all wired option are out. Too far and crosses main electric grid and mound system to get there.

I think our Lassie dreams are dead. We hoped for smart and resourceful and instead we got dumb and lazy (they do take after their owners)IMG_1406.JPG

Walkies would have the same shortfall of a cell phone, I think. Are there walkies out there with strong visual indicators?

Roman candles would certainly allow me to artificially inflate the fireworks budget under the radar, but my insurance guy is my neighbor...feels like he may frown upon that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tell hur...500ft isnt that far of a walk and the exercise would be good for you hun..

Well, that would have the unintended benefit of her taking a new found interest in my firearms.

The goal is to keep the peace, not give her half my stuff...half my tools! (Blasphemy)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

image.jpgimage.jpg

Well played Coop. Extra points for involving twine!

What are you "needed" for again? Aren't those rare instances?

On the other hand: Do you have something in the house by which you can contact your wife from the shop if she is needed out there? The reason I ask is...the other day I was looking for a band-aid and my wife slyly asked; "Shouldn't you have a readily available tourniquet in the shop?" My wife is very sly, in the roguish sense of the word. I gave her my best "look of contempt" but she kinda has a point...

• Like 2

She can't scream that far?

Don't want to find out. You might hear her!

Well played Coop. Extra points for involving twine!

What are you "needed" for again? Aren't those rare instances?

On the other hand: Do you have something in the house by which you can contact your wife from the shop if she is needed out there? The reason I ask is...the other day I was looking for a band-aid and my wife slyly asked; "Shouldn't you have a readily available tourniquet in the shop?" My wife is very sly, in the roguish sense of the word. I gave her my best "look of contempt" but she kinda has a point...

One more reason to own and wear a belt. It goes were you go, and keeping your pants up is a pretty low priority when bleeding out. But the simple answer is yes, I keep my cell phone with me.

• Like 2

My wife just texts me.   Seems simple enough.  

I think 1) you need to get better about checking your phone and 2) your wife needs to learn you are not always immediately available :) 

I tend not to go into the shop unless I know I have at least a free hour.  My kids are 11, 9 and 3.   But my wife doesn't bother me unless something is super urgent, like maybe a broken bone.  We are both pretty independent.  I guess traveling for work all the time does that.  We sometimes go days without talking. 

I have a iPhone speaker dock. I usually have music or a podcast on but when the phone rings it interrupts and is quite loud!

Just need to remember to dock the phone and turn the ringer on.

It's challenging to get interrupted in the middle of a glue up or tricky cut but I try to check in within20 min even if it's just a text that I'll come in soon.

Pretending I didn't hear the phone has not worked out for me;)