New One Time Tool

The more I think about this crap, the more I am completely against Woodpecker as a company.

They must think they can just charge more for complete garbage and think people will just line up with their money. BS! They aren't elite. Charging high prices does not inspire confidence in their company. I predict they will be out of business in 3 years. 

• Like 1

The more I think about this crap, the more I am completely against Woodpecker as a company.

They must think they can just charge more for complete garbage and think people will just line up with their money. BS! They aren't elite. Charging high prices does not inspire confidence in their company. I predict they will be out of business in 3 years. 

Said past Llama, five years ago.

• Like 1

Well zany ideas with limited market appeal is sort of the reason that the One Time Tool thing exists, right?  Anyhow, if anyone is crazy enough to buy one perhaps keep it mint in box and then 100 years from now one of your descendants can either sell it to a Woodpeckers Collector looking to round out his collection for big bucks or use it to crush bugs into a nutritious paste in a post-apocalyptic hellscape. 

• Like 1

There is a huge market for jigs, gadgets, etc in this hobby and I am sure that Woodpeckers will find people to buy this one.

I personally find that around 99% of the "new innovations" that I see in catalogs are something I don't want or need (but apparently someone is buying this stuff). This one gets added to that list

12 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

It's clever marketing.   The "One Time Only" gives it an aura  of exclusivity, and they appear to be marketing it towards tool collectors.  The profit margins have to be substantial.

Good point.  Also it gives consumers a sense of urgency...get it now or it's gone forever!  And something in the primitive lizard brain makes a man get out his wallet without thinking, just like pouncing on a juicy rat steak as it crawls past the.entrance of your cave.

I don't totally agree about all the one-time tools not being useful though...there are several I regret not buying, the framing square at the top of the list.

• Like 1

I guess a $600 dowel jig is easy to pick on.  Krenov aside, dowel joinery seems so... so... crafty and Ikea.

But if someone loves dowel joinery (for whatever reason), then maybe it is worth it to them.  Its not for me, but I wouldn't call someone "dumb" for wanting one.  If they are going to carry it on their credit card for 12 months to pay it off, then maybe they are dumb.  But if they have $600 of disposable cash and it appeals to them, so be it.  

I don't think any one of us should judge what other people spend on tools :). 

1 minute ago, Eric. said:

Good point.  Also it gives consumers a sense of urgency...get it now or it's gone forever!  And something in the primitive lizard brain makes a man get out his wallet without thinking, just like pouncing on a juicy rat steak as it crawls past the.entrance of your cave.

I don't totally agree about all the one-time tools not being useful though...there are several I regret not buying, the framing square at the top of the list.

I guess I should clarify.   I just can't see a company making a really nice tool that people want only once.   Why leave money on the table?   In fact looking at their list, they have reintroduced tools already.

But I don't own anything from woodpeckers, so I'm not their market.

12 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I guess a $600 dowel jig is easy to pick on.  Krenov aside, dowel joinery seems so... so... crafty and Ikea.

But if someone loves dowel joinery (for whatever reason), then maybe it is worth it to them.  Its not for me, but I wouldn't call someone "dumb" for wanting one.  If they are going to carry it on their credit card for 12 months to pay it off, then maybe they are dumb.  But if they have $600 of disposable cash and it appeals to them, so be it.  

I don't think any one of us should judge what other people spend on tools :). 

I agree.

I use dowels pretty often. I want this tool, I think it's very useful. But I won't pay that mad price for it. I would pay $399 probably, even though it doesn't have a depth stop.

I honestly think it's a great tool that is just not priced right. It looks like it's very well designed and has loads of potential. The problem imo is it doesn't come with a motor or drill bit where the domino does. Before i saw the price i wanted it, after seeing the price I'd rather buy a better jointer.

• Like 1

This is why I love the free market. There are plenty of competing products at lower price. The company's balance sheet will determine the final value of any product. If it's not profitable, it truly is a one-time tool. At the same time, you can't judge a company by one bad product - I give you New Coke. 

Some people will buy this product and love it even at that price. Again, I give you Pet Rocks (yeah, I'm that old). 

I have some great tools by Woodpeckers. This ain't gonna be one of them. 

2 minutes ago, prov163 said:

This is why I love the free market. There are plenty of competing products at lower price. The company's balance sheet will determine the final value of any product. If it's not profitable, it truly is a one-time tool. At the same time, you can't judge a company by one bad product - I give you New Coke. 

Some people will buy this product and love it even at that price. Again, I give you Pet Rocks (yeah, I'm that old). 

I have some great tools by Woodpeckers. This ain't gonna be one of them. 

THEY'RE BRINGING BACK CRYSTAL PEPSI!!!

• Like 1

I think "one time tools" is their "clever" term for pre-sale orders.  And you would think that because of the fact that they aren't producing any tools that haven't already been sold that the prices would be a little lower, not higher.  They aren't carrying any back stock on inventory should be saving them some money.