Question about using Arm-R-Seal.

Just a quick, curious question or 2 about applying Arm-R-Seal....

Would I be able to apply it inside my house or would that be a bad idea?

Has anyone attempted to apply it indoors?

I'm almost done working on a Live Edge Slab for my Fireplace Mantel. I just have the top coat left to apply, but I had to bring it inside from the garage before I could finish....

22852588e29e68e53b5f05a55ae338eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Think of it this way, wood floors were site finished with similar oil based polyurethanes from the 1960s until about 10 years ago, and some guys still use oil poly on floors. 

Just make sure your room is well ventilated with a good cross breeze 

15 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I'd advise against it.  While I don't personally mind the smell of ARS, it does contain some fairly volatile VOCs and I get a headache if I hang out in the shop too long after I apply a coat and don't wear my respirator.  For certain situations where you must finish in situ, like Frank's stair rails, etc...I get it.  But if you can move something out of the house, I would.

My wife complains about the stink when I bring in a piece after only 48 hours or so.  It takes about a week for the smell to lose its punch, and can be closer to a month to be entirely smell-free.

Gotta agree with eric that I no longer finish within the house. I did it a few times, but the first time i finished with waterlox, my wife and i woke up with headaches the next morning. That was all the warning i needed to remind me any VOCs are detrimental to your health. 

Is anyone keeping track of the numerous ways your health and well-being can be ruined by woodworking? I just hope Bill Pentz doesnt publish research on VOC exposure next. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bleedinblue said:

We did run our whole house during the stair project and for hours after each coat.  I'm sure that helped a lot.

The good news is the VOCs 'flash' off within the first few hours of curing. If im not mistaken, the VOCs are mostly in the solvent(mineral spirits for example), so most dissipate as the finish dries and cures within the first 12 hours. Some projects you just have to finish inside, but if you do you should vent like you did. 

I did my window sill and trim in my bathroom with Minwax wipe on poly and didn't have an issue.  It seems to be about the same as ARS.  That is a significantly bigger piece though.  I wouldn't worry about doing it inside, but open windows and turn on a couple fans if you can't do it outside. 

On 8/17/2016 at 7:41 AM, Pwk5017 said:

Gotta agree with eric that I no longer finish within the house. I did it a few times, but the first time i finished with waterlox, my wife and i woke up with headaches the next morning. That was all the warning i needed to remind me any VOCs are detrimental to your health. 

Is anyone keeping track of the numerous ways your health and well-being can be ruined by woodworking? I just hope Bill Pentz doesnt publish research on VOC exposure next. 

Waterlox is bad, but compared to CPES... i thought my brain was going to bleed out my nose and I felt like I was going to pass out from the headache. 

Neither are great. But now I feel like I killed enough of my brain that ARS should be great.