A Simple Stool


Isaac
 Share

Recommended Posts

Good luck, I'm along for the ride!  I tried to make a stool about a year ago before my shop was really set up and I ended up throwing in the towel.  I didn't have plans and didn't really think it through so it's sitting in my sons room looking pretty crappy. 

My biggest mistake was making a single width hole through the seat for the legs. I should have made a stepped hole so I wasn't trying to cut the shoulder of the tenon at a funny angle and expecting a nice joint on the bottom of the seat. 

My second biggest mistake was starting a journal. 

Third biggest mistake? Calling that journal "stool on the lathe" and having to deal with juvenile poop jokes from our esteemed members here.  No, I'm wrong, that was the highlight. I think I still have a photo of a roll of TP on my lathe that I never posted!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Ryan Grondin said:

Can"t wait to see it finished.

Don't get too excited. I'll do my best, but my wife and I have a running joke about how she likes my projects and I always explain that is because the things I'm not happy with never get to see the light of day outside of the shop!

3 minutes ago, -MattK- said:

Good luck, I'm along for the ride!  I tried to make a stool about a year ago before my shop was really set up and I ended up throwing in the towel.  I didn't have plans and didn't really think it through so it's sitting in my sons room looking pretty crappy. 

My biggest mistake was making a single width hole through the seat for the legs. I should have made a stepped hole so I wasn't trying to cut the shoulder of the tenon at a funny angle and expecting a nice joint on the bottom of the seat. 

My second biggest mistake was starting a journal. 

Third biggest mistake? Calling that journal "stool on the lathe" and having to deal with juvenile poop jokes from our esteemed members here.  No, I'm wrong, that was the highlight. I think I still have a photo of a roll of TP on my lathe that I never posted!

Ha that is a great story. One thing I've got going for me is that I'm not actually going to try and hide that joint at the stool/leg connection. It may not be visible in that previous link, so here is a similar stool by the same professional as in the magazine. My intent is to have a similar joint, which I think gives me some leeway.

http://www.custommade.com/tall-stool/by/ffhandcrafts/

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Looks great, Isaac. The picture with your son sitting on the stool, it looks like the rear left leg is sticking out way further than the rear right. Is that just the picture or you need to make an adjustment? Also, what will you finish it with ?

Yeah, I've know about the issue with the leg splay since early on. My method of drilling the guide holes through the seat allowed too much play and that one in particular got out of distinctly out of whack. Its a pretty big issue, difficult to repair a 1-inch diameter through hole at the wrong angle. However, I decided to just move on and finish it out as a learning experience. My assumption was that this wouldn't be the only error before I was done. 

I plan to build another stool after this one, applying all the lessons I've learned and hopefully getting this corrected. This stool will probably wind up in my shop or gifted to some place I don't have to look at my failure... This project has about a dozen first times for me. First time using a Lathe, first time making a stool/chair/seat, first time using a grinder to free hand grind out the curves of a seat, first time using such compound angles, etc. 

Probably just a clear coat finish, I'm thinking ARM-R-SEAL, based on the rave reviews I've read here. I think the two woods will provide all the contrast,so no need for anything more elaborate.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Yeah, I've know about the issue with the leg splay since early on. My method of drilling the guide holes through the seat allowed too much play and that one in particular got out of distinctly out of whack. Its a pretty big issue, difficult to repair a 1-inch diameter through hole at the wrong angle. However, I decided to just move on and finish it out as a learning experience. My assumption was that this wouldn't be the only error before I was done. 

I plan to build another stool after this one, applying all the lessons I've learned and hopefully getting this corrected. This stool will probably wind up in my shop or gifted to some place I don't have to look at my failure... This project has about a dozen first times for me. First time using a Lathe, first time making a stool/chair/seat, first time using a grinder to free hand grind out the curves of a seat, first time using such compound angles, etc. 

Probably just a clear coat finish, I'm thinking ARM-R-SEAL, based on the rave reviews I've read here. I think the two woods will provide all the contrast,so no need for anything more elaborate.

 

Don't get me wrong, you've done great work, ESPECIALLY with so many firsts. Not trying to discourage you at all. Keep up the good work, bud ! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, shaneymack said:

Don't get me wrong, you've done great work, ESPECIALLY with so many firsts. Not trying to discourage you at all. Keep up the good work, bud ! 

O no problem. Thanks for following along. I've been enjoying it, so if the end result is a little bit irregular stool, it is not so bad. That is how they know it didn't come from a factory ;).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

O no problem. Thanks for following along. I've been enjoying it, so if the end result is a little bit irregular stool, it is not so bad. That is how they know it didn't come from a factory [emoji6].

You could make that leg a little better if you wanted. You could file down the tenon where it won't be noticed inside the mortise. If you relieve some material off the tenon you will be able to get a bit better angle. It wont take much. Just glue up that leg with epoxy. Not sure I'm explaining myself well but it's not too difficult of a fix.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

You could make that leg a little better if you wanted. You could file down the tenon where it won't be noticed inside the mortise. If you relieve some material off the tenon you will be able to get a bit better angle. It wont take much. Just glue up that leg with epoxy. Not sure I'm explaining myself well but it's not too difficult of a fix.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Darn, should have run this by you earlier. I'm only hesitant about giving it a shot now because moving that leg will alter its relationship with the other leg and the angle of the holes that that the stretcher runs through. They have to be co-linear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Darn, should have run this by you earlier. I'm only hesitant about giving it a shot now because moving that leg will alter its relationship with the other leg and the angle of the holes that that the stretcher runs through. They have to be co-linear.

I think it's doable but you would have to modify the angles on the bottom of the 4 legs once the splay was to your liking on the offending leg. You could be stuck with this same issue next time you build it and will need to be able to adjust. A little material off that tenon will go a long way to changing that legs angle.

If you aren't comfortable trying it right now, don't. I don't want you to mess up your stool and blame it all on me. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be ok re-leveling the feet, that was pretty straightforward, I just made sure the seat was level and drew a line using a bubble laser level and cut with a hand saw, I'll probably put leveler pads on the bottom anyways to make up and tiny differences. My issue is that the holes for the stretchers are already set, if the leg moves to a different spot the stretcher would need to become shorter/longer and the angles would change, or the stretcher would bind as it tries to enter the holes. I appreciate the thought though, if I'd have made the correction before I drilled the stretchers It sounds like that would have worked well. Live and learn I suppose.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share