Ana White

Cliff

My wife and I were trying to clear off the dvr, which now solely consists of 18 episodes of "Tiny House" and one episode had this chick Ana White, looked an awful lot like the Ana White that often is ridiculed for her construction grade furniture. And it was her. Kind of some world's colliding thing going on. I don't know how many here are a fan of her, but if so, check it out. Or check it out just to critique her tiny house :)

I watched one of her youtube videos.  I thought for sure her hair would get tangled in her tablesaw blade.  She is a prime example of why it is a bad idea to learn from free youtube videos.  

47 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I watched one of her youtube videos.  I thought for sure her hair would get tangled in her tablesaw blade.  She is a prime example of why it is a bad idea to learn from free youtube videos.  

There is definitely some good but you have to sort through a bunch of Clet (i)....what is the plural for cletus?.. to find it.. 

• Like 2

I have used her plans to build a trash can bin to keep the dogs out. I just wanted something that I could put together in a day and wouldn't care what really happened to it in the long run. For the most part I completely agree, it also give people this false sense of what "hand made" furniture can be. People assume making something yourself is cheaper and are amazed to know I can spend $800 on lumber and hardware for something and I've have people bring her up as an example of how they could make something similiar for $50.

• Like 1

I probably wouldn't have this hobby if it wasn't for Ana White and the Kreg jig.  I didn't know she was a Youtuber...I thought I heard she was trying to launch a TV show, but I watch DIY and HGTV a lot and never saw anything from her so I assumed that fell apart.  She certainly has an audience...but hopefully she doesn't cost that audience fingers by teaching unsafe practices.

3 minutes ago, TIODS said:

You mean like a Honda? ;)

Those are fighting words...  hee hee.  I don't own a truck, or a honda ridgeline, so I don't quite understand truck culture :) 

How small are the houses? Like 200 sq ft?   IT is amazing how quickly you can adapt to a smaller space, and vice versa.  My apartment in NYC was 700 sq ft, huge for NY standards.  We already had two kids.  When we moved there he had to send an entire moving van back to chicago with stuff that did not fit.  We did not feel cramped at all.  We just acclimated.  

The fact is most new american houses are still terribly inefficient with their use of space.  Pushing things to the extreme will foster innovation that can be used in a more realistic house.  

"The Not So Big House" is a great read. 

2 hours ago, thewoodwhisperer said:

They have quite a few kids and I can't imagine any sane person voluntarily moving into such a tiny space permanently, lol.

In 18 months Marc will revise this statement to living in a tiny house in Denver is awesome!  It's so small all I can do to keep my sanity is to go out to the shop.

I just watched one of her videos for the first time, and I say GOOD FOR HER. It looks like she has found a youtube market for simple projects that people with limited experience can build.

I was around tools and workshops from a young age, but there are plenty of people out there who never pick up a tool more powerful than a 12V drill until they are an adult. For that group of people, Ana White and others like her are a great place to start.