Ana White

Cliff

5 hours ago, chashint said:

Woodworking supplies of all kinds are going the way of the dinosaurs, very few places sell tools anymore, wood sources are disappearing, we need more people to start creating demand for this stuff again.

I disagree entirely with this. If anything there is a substantial resurgence in recent years with woodworking. Sure some physical stores are going away or carrying less, but that is probably due to the internet more than anything else. I look at the woodworking subreddit with 168,000 subscribers and think, "I never would have guessed there are even 50,000 people interested in woodworking." 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RichardA said:

Never heard of Anna White, till I joined this group!  And I gather, since I've never tried to view her, that she's not someone that would interest me.  I burn pallets!

I actually don't think she uses much, if any pallet wood.  Big box store pine and construction lumber, however, is her bread and butter.  "You can build this dining table in a weekend for $43 in supplies!"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

I actually don't think she uses much, if any pallet wood.  Big box store pine and construction lumber, however, is her bread and butter.  "You can build this dining table in a weekend for $43 in supplies!"

For what it is worth, big box stores do sell some higher grade pine, oak, maple, walnut boards that have already been jointed and planed to reasonably consistent degree (they aren't being cut at the store, clearly it is a factory process). Obviously they do this because they want to sell everything with scanner skew numbers, which means consistent prices. They don't want to hassle with board feet, cut offs, and all that. They do the same thing in landscaping. They sell soil, gravel, fertilizer, mulch etc. in bags, not cubic yards like professionals generally want.

So, the benefit, to hobbyists, is you can get a stack of boards that are already S4S, so if you can't afford a table saw, planer, jointer, you can still potentially build some reasonably nice things. The biggest concession is that you have to use the dimensions they provide as a kit of parts for your design. If they sell a 4" or 6" board, you won't have any 5" boards in your design...

Not for pros of course, the cost of these boards is quite high, but before I had the space and tools, this was a good option to start with. Using that approach with basically just a miter saw, dowel jig and drill, I made a few projects around the house that came out reasonably well.

You know Mat, most of the prominent maker people I like or dislike would be welcome in my shop. I don't care enough about what they do (that I wouldn't) to let it ruin a fun afternoon build. I think most derogatory comments come from the fine furniture angle and let's face it, not every project needs to be fine. They all help build skill. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I agree with the first part but hesitate to agree with the second.  If you keep screwing pine together you'll struggle to improve at all.

Point taken. Crappy cuts make crappy joints though, even with pocket screws. Pine can be splintery when cutting and making use of backing boards etc is good practice. I am not advocating giving up all standards. Building skill assumes you keep most of them. 

• Like 2

On 9/5/2016 at 8:34 AM, Isaac Gaetz said:

[...] the cost of these boards is quite high [...]

Boy you aren't kidding... the last time I priced out Walnut at Home Depot it worked out to $18-20/bdft. It's insane what they charge people for that stuff!

I'm glad I found a local lumberyard where I can get it for $6-7/bdft. Of course it's not S4S, but still...

• Like 1

Just now, MisterDrow said:

Boy you aren't kidding... the last time I priced out Walnut at Home Depot it worked out to $18-20/bdft. It's insane what they charge people for that stuff!

I'm glad I found a local lumberyard where I can get it for $6-7/bdft.

To be fair, were you comparing rough sawn prices to the planed and trued HD boards? I have no doubt HD would still be more expensive, but we should still compare apples to apples. Like I said, if you've got a jointer, planer and table saw, you'll generally have no need or interest in purchasing wood that has already been trued up.

Then again, I can imagine someone with a 12" planer paying a lumber mill to plane a 24" slab for them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Like I said, if you've got a jointer, planer and table saw, you'll generally have no need or interest in purchasing wood that has already been trued up.

Well that's not entirely true.  I don't personally care for rough lumber because you can't see what you're buying.  After you send it through the planer, half of it comes out usable, the other half crap.

My ideal lumber is 15/16 skip planed.  That way you retain most of the thickness but you can see the boards before you buy them.  And it doesn't make it much more expensive.  If I only had the choice between rough and S3S, I'd take the S3S 95% of the time.  After you calculate all the waste from ugly boards and the extra time it takes to mill from rough, you're not really ahead that much.

Of course I'm super picky about my boards.  People who aren't will find rough to be a better deal.

On the other hand, it makes no sense to buy any lumber at the box store, especially walnut.  That's just money down the toilet.  They give you one extra cut to make S4S and double or triple the price.

• Like 2

We only have a couple domestic species in the 15/16 thickness, mostly it's exotics.  Our S3S is 13/16 so as long as you pick only flat boards you usually have no problem maintaining thickness.  I lose very little material to waste.

My "50% waste" on rough material is definitely exaggerated, but I've found it much higher than I think is acceptable every time I've used it.  But again, I'm a lumber Nazi and very few boards make the cut.  So what is acceptable to most people often won't be acceptable for me.

41 minutes ago, MisterDrow said:

No, I typically only buy for what I need on a given project. I'm a hobby woodworker and don't have the need or the financial resources to stockpile wood.

I do the same. I've been having a hard time finding poplar that's worth a darn, though. I have to be really thorough at checking the boards, otherwise by the time I get it to square, it's now 1/2" lumber when I need 3/4". 

I've rarely found S4S at one of the borgs that's worth the price. It's usually crooked as all get out. 

• Like 1