Can this be fixed

You might try using some very fine sawdust of the same type of wood that the crack is in and some thin CNA glue. You'll be able to see the fix later but you won't have a crack there. Is this a permanent fix? I don't know. If your crack is a stress crack then it will likely come back.

i think you will be perfectly fine to flow a bit of glue down into the crack and sand over the area while the glue is still wet, thus creating a sawdust/glue slurry. the slurry will harden and your void will be filled. it may be somewhat visible, but nothing major.

Let's try giving you too many options :)

If you have some of the same wood, take a hand plane and get a thick shaving. Use a putty knife or something thin and flexible like that to kinda clear out the crack. Doesn't have to be completely cleared out, but get rid of loose stuff. Dip a shaving in glue and push in down into the crack until it stops. Repeat with as many slices as you can get in there. Let dry. Flush cut the protruding slices and maybe use a scraper to even it out.

Knowing you're using the shaving to fill the gap, you could look for a piece of that species that has a similar ring structure to pick off the shaving. Worse case, it is at least end-grain showing and nothing hard like glue filling the void.

...and this trick works well on gappy dovetails. Gee, not that I'd know. huh.gif

• 3 weeks later...

So I used the epoxy method to fill some gaps after a warping incident with my unfinished end-grain butcherblock. And now the areas around the epoxy filled gaps are darker from the epoxy soaking into the end grain. I wasn't worried about it thinking that whatever finish I used would also soak in and darken the rest of the cutting board. Not true. I've tried salad bowl finish, mineral oil and even did a test piece with linseed oil to see if it would be darker than the mineral oil. None of them are as dark as the epoxy. Has this happened to anyone else??? I took a cabinet scraper, sandpaper and even a power belt sander to the cuttingboard but the dark spots still remain. I'm a doomed to have a tragically colored, stripped and polka dotted cutting board or is there some sort of food safe dye or stain I can use to get it uniform again?