Newest One Time Tool

AcworthWW

I use mine daily for layout work, squaring my sliding crosscut saw, squaring tracksaw setups and checking parts before assembly. I check the corners of sheet goods and often find a few corners that are out. I also use it to check other squares in the shop.

Checking assembled cases for squareness right after clamping gives me a chance to add a diagonal clamp and pull the case square before the glue starts setting. You do have to watch for slightly bowed panels due to the clamp pressure needed to close a stubborn joint on occasion.

other than squaring Festool track to edge. 

Do you need another reason?  That's the only one that matters.  I have the t-square, too...and it doesn't work for that.

I just don't see the value here. I've got a 16" x 24" Lee Valley square that I paid less than  $100 CAD for that is as perfectly square as I can measure. The Woodpecker item is over $250 + shipping.

Does it have a lip on it that registers on the edge of the board?  Or do you have to "line it up" with your fingers?

It has a lip on both sides of the short arm. It also has a knotch on the inside corner which allows you to mark all the way to the edge of a board.

If you get one and decide you don't like it wait 6 months and they sell for more than you paid on eBay . I waited over a year until they offered it again. I think this is the 4th or 5th batch.

• Like 1

This is one of those "don't know you need it until you need it" type things...

I don't need it, so I won't be getting it.. Maybe I should, but they should just keep this thing in stock... But then we wouldn't have any other Woodpecker thing to get excited about every year or two.

I really like Woodpeckers stuff.  The value of the 24" square with the lipped short arm will vary with how you work.  I have "special" tools that do some jobs that others do another way.  I like the special tools for certain things and am accustomed to working with them.  For those of us with an accurate large square already, you could go with this or these and not lose your short arm utility. You would of course have to have to have something already square in your shop for setup before use.

Hmm, seriously considering the big boy. Case or no case? $30 is steep for a piece of routed MDF, but $200 is a lot to spend without protecting it a bit. 

I hang mine on the wall.  A case is just an obstacle to get to a tool.  Just like a Systainer.  Equally worthless in a home shop.  I'm gonna keep saying this until I wear everyone down to a nub and they agree with me out of pure exhaustion.

• Like 1

Does it have a lip on it that registers on the edge of the board?  Or do you have to "line it up" with your fingers?

No lip, it's basically just a high precision framing square. So I just drop the one side down over the edge of the board to register the square. Having a lip is something for sure though.

I hang mine on the wall.  A case is just an obstacle to get to a tool.  Just like a Systainer.  Equally worthless in a home shop.  I'm gonna keep saying this until I wear everyone down to a nub and they agree with me out of pure exhaustion.

I typically sell my systainers for 40-50 a pop on CL. Done that twice now. I kept the domino, track saw, and of1400 containers, because i can see those in a mobile sense. Not sure when i would be using finish sanders on a jobsite, but that is probably because i do very little jobsite work! Already glad I kept the TS and router containers, because ive used those a few times outside my home. Gotta say, you look/feel incredibly cool rolling up on a client's home and wheeling in a CT with a couple systainers stacked on top. You might as well be a martian entering their home for the looks you receive. 

Going big one without container. Just so i dont shoot myself in the foot, if you choose no container do they ship it appropriately? I keep thinking about the one guy who posted on here where his woodpecker straight edge/square looked like it had been stepped on several times.

Equally worthless in a home shop.  I'm gonna keep saying this until I wear everyone down to a nub and they agree with me out of pure exhaustion.

Your pretty hard headed but i might be even more hard headed. You'll never wear me down. Couldn't disagree more with this, even for a home shop. Take that.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I thought you were supposed to be Mr. Efficiency?  All that talk about how bad you hate wasting time?  Yet you choose to take the extra steps to store tools in boxes instead of somewhere that makes them easily accessible.  Your pull-out drawers that hold your Systainers are better than nothing...but it's still a waste of time.  Unless you're on the road, Systainers are inefficient.  Period.

I keep my TS55 in its Systainer because at the moment I have nowhere else convenient to store it.  And every time I go to use it I use profanity at myself for being so stupid to keep it in a box that I have to open to get to the tool...then close...then put away.  When I need to use my router...I grab it off the shelf.  Done.  Getting the tracksaw out is a whole production that takes at least 8-10 seconds of my life.

Take that.

• Like 1