Using railroad ties that have been treated with creosote?

Dolmetscher007

I know.. I know...!

My father worked for the railroad for 40 years. I've always known that railroad cross-ties are some nasty things due to the chemicals they use to weather-proof them. Any saw that you use to cut them will corrode, and if you use them in your yard or garden, they leach that poison into the soil, and should not be used at all. BUT... could they not be used in SOME way? 

I have an idea for a shuffle board table, and some repurposed railroad cross ties would make some awesome looking legs. I'd have to wear a respirator, work outdoors, long sleeves, and I'd have to toss the saw blade... but... let's say... hypothetically... if I were to get the wood sawn down and into my dimensions, is there not some kind of sealant, varnish, or something that I could use to make it so that they are at least usable indoors?

Some of the chemicals used to treat them are carcinogenic, so for that reason alone I wouldn't use them. And then there is the stink they give off. Milling that stuff would be like the seventh circle of hell.

You'd be better off chopping up old pallets & using them, and even that is a terrible idea.

• Like 1

Landscaping only for creosote railroad ties. I've seen them used for garden retaining walls (including by a Master Gardener), and never found any evidence of creosote leaking into the ground, or affecting produce. Creosote plants are super nasty places, but the wood itself seems safe.

Somewhat related question, anyone know what they use to treat the decks of barges? My father has a huge pile of these, and it's definitely not creosote or PT chemicals. If you cut through one (4x12 and larger beams) it's this weird grey color all the way through.

When its a matter of life and death for a non-emergency situation folks sometimes get clouded judgment and will not think of all of the ramifications assuming that nothing bad could happen to them because their actions are too simple to cause such a terrible outcome. Whenever a life or death situation like this comes up its best to think of the headlines that might result. This gets you some perspective. If the resulting headlines sound like something the Darwin principle should be thankfully applied to for the betterment of all man kind... don't do the considered action.

For example:

Young man who collects antique tank rounds dies in an explosion when taking apart same.

Or

40 year old married man with children volunteered to be killed and resurrected by holy man with unfortunately obvious results.

Now lets apply your situation:

Young wood worker gets cancer from using wood he knew was treated with carcinogenic compounds to save a few dollars.

Please leave the railroad ties alone.

• Like 1

Many moons ago, I was employed for a time as a landscape laborer. I have carried and cut my share of used railroad ties. Creosote exposure from handling them will easily irritate your skin to itchy redness, even cause chemical blisters if you are sensitive. I hate to imagine what the creosote saturated dust might do to your lungs. I recommend leaving them alone, but at least use gloves, sleeve, and a respirator while cutting or handling.

From your friends at ATSDR:

Health problems caused by creosote exposure

Longer exposure to creosote vapors can irritate the lungs. Exposure to small amounts of creosote over time by direct skin contact or by contact with creosote vapors, may cause:

• Blistering, peeling, or reddening of the skin
  • Damage to the eyes
  • Increased sensitivity to sunlight Eating food or drinking water with large amounts of creosote may cause:
  • Burning in the mouth and throat
  • Stomach pains Accidentally eating large amounts of creosote for a short period of time can cause:
  • Bad skin rash
  • Eye burns
  • Convulsions
  • Kidney or liver problems
  • Unconsciousness or death

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

I don't call that an accident.  I call it Darwinism.  

Ding Ding Ding... The winner!

I say that about people that get hit by the train. It isn't like it can jump out of a bush and get ya. It is HUGE, It makes a LOT of noise, and the tracks clearly define where it runs.  YET, people still manage to get in it's way.

Darwinism....

Some railroads are using plastic ties now. They are molded using all sorts of recycled plastic, mostly the stuff no one wants. They looked heavy as hell. Maybe you could get one of those ?

I think the idea of getting a rough sawn beam and staining or blackening it w a torch would be the best and safest route. A couple of coats of a dull finish would seal the surface and keep the color or char from getting everywhere. General finishes has a few different coatings availabe in a Dull sheen.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Some railroads are using plastic ties now. They are molded using all sorts of recycled plastic, mostly the stuff no one wants. They looked heavy as hell. Maybe you could get one of those ?

I can honestly say, I have never seen a plastic tie. I imagine they are a great alternative to wood ties, which only last about 5 years.  I have however seen LOTS of cement ties. They place them in places where they don't want to have to replace the ties for 25 years.

Heavy as hell is a relative term. Especially where railroads are concerned. NOTHING is light when it comes to railroading. The amount of weight that a locomotive can pull is staggering. For instance, a coal train usually weights around 18-20 thousand tons. A box car can hold 210,000 lbs each. (or the equivalent of three semi trucks).

Weird. The wood ties in back of my dad's house have been replaced twice in my 34 years of experience at that place. I think local sourcing of timber means that not all wood ties are equal. The biggest benefit of railroad history on my state is the massive rows of mature catalpa when they blossom. I don't know if anyone still makes ties of catalpa. 

1 hour ago, C Shaffer said:

Weird. The wood ties in back of my dad's house have been replaced twice in my 34 years of experience at that place. I think local sourcing of timber means that not all wood ties are equal. The biggest benefit of railroad history on my state is the massive rows of mature catalpa when they blossom. I don't know if anyone still makes ties of catalpa. 

There is a big difference between the mainlines and the private offshoots. Also the practice can and will vary by location.

When I still lived on a hobby farm I used ties to line the walls of a new hole under the outhouse.  Cut them with a chain saw.  Only had to cut about 6 ties.  Went through 2 + chains on the saw.  Kind of masked the normal outhouse smell for the first year but they hold up well.