Sharpening tools

I sharpen pretty much everything if it's dull. Circle cutters, hand saws, nickers, drill bits over 1/4' or so, kitchen knives, Unibits, pretty much you name it.

Do you have specialized sharpeners for everything?

I only sharpen chisels, hand plane blades and band saw blades. The rest of my blades I either replace them or have them sharpened.

Whetstone or grinder?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Daniel, you sharpen your own bs blades?

Yup. I use a  Dremel following Mathias Wendel instructions. Works great and doesn't take much time.

25 minutes ago, eric.l.mathison said:

Do you have specialized sharpeners for everything?

Whetstone or grinder?

DMT diamond stones. This is my sharpening station:

aaddd1487655c937a829f8714e6b6d1f.jpg

• Like 2

My favorite tool to sharpen are my jointer knives.I have three different types of high speed steel.

I use my tormek it is slow but the edge is superior to the saw services I bring my Table saws blades too.

Small stuff like marking knives and my tiny chisels are my least favorite.

Stiil working on sharpening my Carbon steel Bandsaw blades.

Aj

I have 3 sets of planer and jointer knives that I sharpen on my Tormek as well. It is slow going but it does an excellent job, far better than any sharpening service.

Keeping saw blades and router bits clean frequently makes a big difference ! I use those little diamond paddles to touch up router bits.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eric.l.mathison said:

What tools in the shop do you need to worry about sharpening?

Probably easier to list what I don't worry about.  I replace lipped bradpoint bits, "house brand" router bits I pick up for $5 and carbon steel bandsaw blades.  Things I let others sharpen for me are circular saw blades, Kreg bits and router bits.  I pretty much sharpen everything else including touch-ups on the items I send out if it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, eric.l.mathison said:

So if one doesn't have a Tormek, the best thing to use is a manual Whetstone?

What are you using for drill and fornster bits?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If you have a lathe, you probably need a Tormek. I don't have one and I never use a grinder to sharpen my blades, only the stones.

For drill bits there is the Drill Doctor. Again I don't need one, since I'm not a professional woodworker and I don't have to be cost efficient. I just replace my bits when they are dull.

If you have a lathe, you probably need a Tormek. I don't have one and I never use a grinder to sharpen my blades, only the stones.

For drill bits there is the Drill Doctor. Again I don't need one, since I'm not a professional woodworker and I don't have to be cost efficient. I just replace my bits when they are dull.

I'm not a pro either, but I don't want to replace a $40 bit if I can sharpen it :)

3 minutes ago, eric.l.mathison said:

I'm not a pro either, but I don't want to replace a $40 bit if I can sharpen it :)

Yeah, but I don't buy $40 drill bits or forstner bits. $40 buys me a full set of PC forstner bits and they will last me a long time because I use them sporadically. If you want a sharpening solution for every tool you will spend a lot of money and then a lot of time using them. Time you could spend on your woodworking projects. But of course, YMMV.

Yeah, but I don't buy $40 drill bits or forstner bits. $40 buys me a full set of PC forstner bits and they will last me a long time because I use them sporadically. If you want a sharpening solution for every tool you will spend a lot of money and then a lot of time using them. Time you could spend on your woodworking projects. But of course, YMMV.

I guess my greatest concern is saving money where I can. And time is money. If I can sharpen a chisel in under 3 mins, that'd be worth going to the store and spending $5 on another one. Ts blades are expensive and a pain to sharpen, so on the ledge there. Dremel sharpening a bandsaw blade is easy but takes time. Drill bits I may look at cheaper options so I can just replace.

I hate sharpening but it's something you have to do so you don't spend a ton replacing.

There is also a sharpening quality difference. I don't know of many chisels that come with an edge as good as i can get off of a 6000 water stone. Shannon Rogers the Renaissance woodworker is a huge proponent of stropping. Using stropping regularly in his process he keeps the edge well honed and causes him to sharpen less. This really only works for chisels and hand planes.

Also if your replacing don't forget your time driving to the store. If you buy online the time to unbox and open packaging. I'm mentioning the unboxing because if your splitting hairs over 3 min sharpening a chisel it probably takes me 2 min to open a package and then it's more time taking out the trash.

Hate to link you to another thread but there is some good information on sharpening for chisels and hand planes here.

For power tools i either replace or send off for sharpening.

• Like 1

Chisels and Handplanes I sharpen, there's no way around that. I use a King combination water-stone and a strop, keeps 'em nice and shiny. I don't drill many holes, so I haven't worn out a drill bit yet. Or possibly I've been upgrading the quality of my bits faster than I wear them out.

I use cheap-enough sawblades (Freud Diablo) that it's not been worth getting them sharpened, and they last a year+ anyways. At least where I used to live the local sharpening service was expensive. Some day I'll upgrade to that Forrest II, but probably not this year.

I also sharpen my knives, but I use an old round combination stone for that.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Shannon Rogers the Renaissance woodworker is a huge proponent of stropping. Using stropping regularly in his process he keeps the edge well honed and causes him to sharpen less. This really only works for chisels and hand planes.

I took up stropping after I began using carving tools. It is difficult to find a "super fine" slip to hone the inside of a curved edge. Stropping allows you to tune up the edge of a carving gouge for a long time before you have to go to a true sharpening.

Besides carving tools the only others I personally sharpen are chisels, plane irons, card scrapers, and my marking knife.

31 minutes ago, eric.l.mathison said:

Ok so I'm kinda confused on something I'm reading. Why do you need to use a file and a burbisher to sharpen a card scraper? Couldn't you just use a stone (same as a hand plane)?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

A card scraper needs a burr. You use a burnisher to create the burr. You use a file from time to time to flatten the edge and remove previous burrs.