My workbench (yes, it's a Roubo)

SawDustB

I've started into the wagon vise. I needed to cut the grooves for the miter track.

6ba750e54f560b1657cd9cb277761cd6.jpg

I also needed to glue another piece onto the dog block, so I have somewhere to attach the vise nut. This will be cleaned up and cut to length. I then need to add it's grooves for the runners, and add the nut.

bebe7a03b3e3a9b389910da1194bb97b.jpg

• Like 2

The dog block is getting close now. It fits well into the bench top, and the motion seems fine. It's not going to be as smooth as some wagon vises, but I think I'll be happy with it. The only thing left to do with it is drill out for the vise screw and put in the vise nut.

67da85ec2bff7cbb56204e9147b439b9.jpg

Here it is in the bench top. As soon as I'm sure I'm happy, I'm going to glue the laminate on.

f3bb9c52d64a0fb5c00ab1f8b705b93a.jpg

• Like 2

I added screws to the miter track, drilled out holes to attach the vise screw with t nuts, and fixed a couple of spots where it was rubbing. The front is now glued (maybe a bit too much, based on the squeeze out). I realized I forgot the screws to secure the runners in the vise block, so I'll still have to take it apart one more time. Still, I'm pretty happy with the result. It's very easy to turn the vise screw, even without a handle.

f7d9457714d756832214230e2579a11d.jpg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I love the front board and end cap combination! Nicely done!

Thanks! I'm digging it too. I've got some interesting grain on some of the legs, but I'm not sure if it'll be too much with everything else going on. I kind of need to mock it up to see.

So I forgot to take pictures of this part, but I ended up doing a couple of setups on my cross cut sled instead of building the dog breeder jig. I didn't have a spare toggle clamp, and without a band saw to finish the cut I figure it was almost as quick. I cut a block with the 6.6 degree and for the bottom, and wedged the dogs against it for that cut. Next, I stuck down a piece parallel to the blade for the rip cut. This gave me this pile, after a couple of shallow cross cuts to free the waste. I found my gripper to be valuable through this part, because it held the pieces down very securely while keeping my fingers out of the way.

cbf3a81c6e06377056c4768173189b13.jpg

It seemed fitting to use the wagon vise to finish these, so I clamped in each dog and used a large chisel to clean off the waste.

0e0feacb3579b84637d4ac6293e220bd.jpg

A couple of them had minor accidents with too much waste splitting off, but all but one were good enough to keep. I'll clean them up a bit with a card scraper later and then install all the wooden springs.

06c1e17f4cf9682cbd2a75c0208fb995.jpg

I set up on the drill press with a fence and stop block and drilled/countersunk all the the springs. It turns out I had way too many of them.

0691cee41319ea256ae41e2c7b193459.jpg

After that, it was just a matter of assembling. So many dogs...

d994b107b9f820abf69d685af9933bd2.jpg

I tried them in the dog holes, and although a bit stiff they should be fine.

cb8eecd0cfa6d39e0eda80a11b52832c.jpg

Next on the list is the legs. I need to decide which ones will go on the front. I'd like to play off the heart wood I already put on the front laminate.

a31f09f39816d6b58ac406c7f40269fb.jpg

The only problem is that all my legs have moved since I glued them and milled to size before Christmas. I wasn't expecting them to sit this long. A couple were close, but two were twisted by at least 1/16". I didn't want to deal with it today, so that was the end of my shop time. I need to figure out what the best approach is to avoid losing too much width. I may just resign myself to them shrinking by 1/8" or so.

I also need to cut the legs to length, which means trying to calibrate my miter saw again. It's a Makita saw, and the issue I have is that it had a one piece fence where the two halves are not lined up. I've gotten it close before, but it means wrestling with a clamp to try to bend the fence flat while tightening the bolts.

• Like 2

Lookin good Brian ! 

Fun project that keeps on giving once you finish. You're gonna love it !!

Thanks John! It's already helped my work flow a lot even with being on wobbly saw horses. I can only imagine how much of an improvement it will be once it's installed on its base. It's been fun, and a totally different scale from my usual projects.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SawDustB said:

Thanks John! It's already helped my work flow a lot even with being on wobbly saw horses. I can only imagine how much of an improvement it will be once it's installed on its base. It's been fun, and a totally different scale from my usual projects.

I remember having my work bench top butted up against a wall so i could plane on it. I had the top on sawhorses for 2 months atleast. Your tail vise and end cap look well done. Kudos to dedicating the time to make them perfect. 

• Like 1

So I was so excited about having my tail vise working, I decided to joint all of the legs again for fun! Way more enjoyable to use my planes with this.

fc9c42d0839aef74181e688bfc14300c.jpg

OK, so maybe it wasn't by choice. I had the leg blanks glued up and squared at final dimension back in November. Unfortunately, they all moved. I'm going to end up 1/4" smaller than the plans, but I can live with it. Definitely not worth remaking the legs for. Everything's ready to go back through the planer, then I'll need to square the edges again.

I now have 4 straight and square legs again. As it turned out, one problem before is that my table saw fence was knocked out of square. All fixed now.

296129188ac1a693de9aacc3770a978d.jpg

I've cleaned up one end of each leg, but I have to pick a work bench height. I've really been agonizing over this part. Ideally, I'd love to make it 37" to match my table saw, but I'm concerned it'll be too high. I set up my front slab at that height, and I think it might be high for planing.

Right now I'm leaning towards 36" or a little less, which would be better for planing and is low enough that the table saw wing would pass over it. I've got leg length for up to 38" high, so no issue there.

How high did all of you make your benches (and how tall are you)? I'm about 6'1", which I'm thinking would mean I should be in the 35-36" range based on the standard bench crafted plans. I'm assuming making the bench taller means adding on below the bottom stretchers.

My bench stands 36.5" tall and I'm 6'1. I like the height for everything except for  intricate small tasks. I am considering building a raised bench on bench area to make that more comfortable..

Thanks Brendon. Does that work well for doing a lot of planing? I'm going to be jointing all my stock by hand, so I want to make sure it's at a good height for that.