AstroDave

$99 Festool Sander

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

True.

 

I dont think it would scare anyone off. I think the people buying the inflated price Festool sander would be current koolaid drinkers. Not sure if that would attract the new buyers so much

Yeah that was my point, if the only people who pay the inflated price are people are already tuned into Festool, then wouldn't festool have preferred to sell at the higher price and cut out the middle man?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Yeah that was my point, if the only people who pay the inflated price are people are already tuned into Festool, then wouldn't festool have preferred to sell at the higher price and cut out the middle man?

This is beyond my comprehension of sales and marketing. Im but a simple builder. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

Normally when the secondary market does this to an item it actually inflates the perception of a products value.  You see it in cars, watches, spirits and most all limited Veblen goods.

Absolutely true and thank dog. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2016 at 10:06 AM, Mike. said:

I don't have any tinfoil hats.  

Look around on their site. It's possible that Festool has them...;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine will be here on Thursday. My local woodcraft has them available, they sent out an email saying they are available and if you order one while you're there if they run out they will get one to you for the $99 price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, davewyo said:

Look around on their site. It's possible that Festool has them...;)

I hear the green paint doesn't do as good of a job of keeping out the government signals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Isaac Gaetz said:

Do you think festool is trying to increase their perceived value though? Aren't they already at the top of the heap? I'd think they be trying to figure out how to increase their market share by getting into the hands of additional woodworkers, hence the introductory sale of one item to get users hooked into their system. If you buy the sander, and you start poking around, you'll probably get one of their dust extractors to go with it, and now, since you've got the extractor, why not get the Domino?

What do you think?

I was responding mainly to the idea people would get scared off, the higher prices on the secondary market usually increase interest as opposed to running it off.  

Festool's purpose was obviously to get new customers into the Festool ecosystem.  That new penetration may be low because even though Festool has now said (today) they will cover all the pre-orders I imagine a LARGE part of those were from people like me who have already sipped the Koolaid.  However, the frenzy has caused a lot of new Festool traffic on all the forums (both woodworking and trade related forums) which is probably a good thing for Festool.  While they may not have intended it the increased prices that are surely to happen on the secondary market will further enhance the perception that Festool is indeed a good value.  Though the buyin is high resell sales a lot of their tools, what other electric hand tool manufacturer can you buy a tool, use it for two year, and sell it with an intact warranty for 75-80% of new?  Mafell probably has as high a resell value but they are a level of price and quality above Festool.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

I was responding mainly to the idea people would get scared off, the higher prices on the secondary market usually increase interest as opposed to running it off.  

Festool's purpose was obviously to get new customers into the Festool ecosystem.  That new penetration may be low because even though Festool has now said (today) they will cover all the pre-orders I imagine a LARGE part of those were from people like me who have already sipped the Koolaid.  However, the frenzy has caused a lot of new Festool traffic on all the forums (both woodworking and trade related forums) which is probably a good thing for Festool.  While they may not have intended it the increased prices that are surely to happen on the secondary market will further enhance the perception that Festool is indeed a good value.  Though the buyin is high resell sales a lot of their tools, what other electric hand tool manufacturer can you buy a tool, use it for two year, and sell it with an intact warranty for 75-80% of new?  Mafell probably has as high a resell value but they are a level of price and quality above Festool.  

 

Really good points all around. If I could justify another sander I might have sipped the koolaid this time. Will probably wait a little longer before getting a domino.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

 did you order the hose attachment adapter or did it come with it?.

Give us the initial impression.  

Its supposed to come with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cochese said:

Not in the Pro5, not from everything I've read.

Not sure where you read, but right HERE where I bought mine from in the INCLUDED section they say it includes:

(1) Clean-Tec bayonet-style dust port to retrofit older hoses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It came with it.

The systainer seems pretty similar to every other one.

Haven't gotten to use it yet but it smells really good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

It came with it.

The systainer seems pretty similar to every other one.

Haven't gotten to use it yet but it smells really good.

Is there a part number listed on the box for the new hose end? If so can you post it please? I have been trying to find it and havent seen it listed anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ben_r_ said:

Is there a part number listed on the box for the new hose end? If so can you post it please? I have been trying to find it and havent seen it listed anywhere.

10019348

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It came with it.

The systainer seems pretty similar to every other one.

Haven't gotten to use it yet but it smells really good.

Ah yes, Eau de systainer. I can smell it just thinking about it. Yummy

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is there a part number listed on the box for the new hose end? If so can you post it please? I have been trying to find it and havent seen it listed anywhere.

10019438

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HuxleyWood said:

10019348

 

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

10019438

Thanks guys!

Doesnt look like anyone has it for sale yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.