AstroDave

$99 Festool Sander

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

No mention of the rebate/voucher.

I saw that BUT they are an authorized dealer and the condition is listed as unopened.  I would bet it comes with it, but one could ask CPO.

 

BTW they listed 20 and have sold 10 in the last 45 minutes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

I saw that BUT they are an authorized dealer and the condition is listed as unopened.  I would bet it comes with it, but one could ask CPO.

Why would they be selling them via ebay and not their normal site then? Seems odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JosephThomas said:

Why would they be selling them via ebay and not their normal site then? Seems odd.

Best Buy sells stuff via eBay all the time.

 

Good lord, there's now two listings on FOG for $300. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Why would they be selling them via ebay and not their normal site then? Seems odd.

Dunno.  

All sold out, the last 10 sold in 2 minutes, may have been 1 person  (I checked the last 10 were indeed bought by one person)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cochese said:

Best Buy sells stuff via eBay all the time.

 

Good lord, there's now two listings on FOG for $300. LOL

I'll bet they fly off the shelves. ... sarcasm. .

Initially, with the flood of them on the market,  I'd be surprised if they actually sold for $125..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brendon_t said:

I'll bet they fly off the shelves. ... sarcasm. .

Initially, with the flood of them on the market,  I'd be surprised if they actually sold for $125..

One of them "sold" at that price (likely not, but if it did that buyer deserves to lose money).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

Bob Marino (on FOG) is hot about CPO selling above the 99.99.

Perhaps that's why they weren't selling on their website? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

Bob Marino (on FOG) is hot about CPO selling above the 99.99.

If they are an authorized retailer,  I'd bet a letter is already on its way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Perhaps that's why they weren't selling on their website? 

CPO didn't try to hide it, the posted it on FOG after the auction had been live for about 45 minutes and they only had 10 left.

 

It isn't against any Festool dealer rule, dealers are allowed to charge OVER the MSRP just not under it.  They can charge shipping etc also.  Bob just felt that it went against the idea of the promotion and felt like they should have had all theirs already accounted for since dealers got a small percentage of what they ordered.  In the end the dealers are just getting smacked around by this, trying to keep up and keep everyone informed.

 

Hartville sold theres and required you to either buy $38 in sandpaper or bundle it with an extractor.

 

 

EDIT:  CPO just put another lot of them up at $119.99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so here is some higher quality fes_____ fill in the blank for what ever you want.

Pro 5 LTD 003 adj.jpg

Sanded with a Dewalt DWE6421K and Mirka Gold 150 Grit (Below)

Pro 5 LTD 014 adj.jpg

Festool Pro 5 LTD CT 26 Lowest setting 150 Grit Granat (Below)

Pro 5 LTD 015 adj.jpg

Festool Pro 5 LTD CT 26 Lowest setting 180 Grit Granat (Below)

Pro 5 LTD 019 adj.jpg

Subjectively the sander still doesn't seem like it has enough power. The rotations slow down and cause an oscillation of the sander. It wants to oscillate back and forth in the 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock direction about 3/8" to 3/4". I didn't take it to 220 but i think it's safe to say this sander is going to be at home in the higher grits, which is what i bought it for. I will say subjectively the sander almost performs better being lifted off of the work, there is just too much suction even on low.

Subjectively the dust collection is AWESOME which is to be expected i had a black rubber DSLR sitting inches away that had zero dust on it after i sanded for about an hour trying to get the perfect technique down. Or is that objectively, that is a measurement?

It's a sander at $100 i don't know if I'd pay more then that, after getting towards $200 I'd consider other options.

 

Edited by Chestnut
Edited for grammer. I misread something as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a similar complaint about the oscillation on FOG. Dissapointing to say the least. Hopefully it performs well with higher grits as you mentioned. Thats what i bought it for too, a last-touch sanding before finish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I won't have mine until late today you could always stop the previous ETS 125 with just a little extra pressure than needed or having the suction set too high on the vac.   One should basically guide the sander with nothing more than the downward weight of the sander.  

While I didn't really think so before Mike. may indeed be right that it wasn't the best tool to do the promotion with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Mike that this could backfire on Festool when first-time buyers get theirs and realize it doesn't perform with 80 grit. Those first-time buyers that wait 2-3 months to get theirs then find out it sucks with 80 grit are not going to be rushing to Woodcraft to buy a Domino and Kapex! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, estesbubba said:

I agree with Mike that this could backfire on Festool when first-time buyers get theirs and realize it doesn't perform with 80 grit. Those first-time buyers that wait 2-3 months to get theirs then find out it sucks with 80 grit are not going to be rushing to Woodcraft to buy a Domino and Kapex! 

Then we bend back to looking at how many new owners to Festool they really are.  It very well may be the majority that buy it are Festool owners already and have a better chance of understanding the sander or at least knowing where to look to find out.  My point being the fact that the approach was a poor idea to get these in non-Festoolian hands may turn out to be a blessing to Festool.  

For me this is a money savings opportunity even though I have little interest in the sander itself.  I ended up buying three of these. I had already planned to buy three Systainers and a plug-it in the next month.  I want to build three inserts to organize my RO90 papers and my 5 and 6" discs for my Mirka sanders.  While the 6" will need a Sys 3 I "saved" $148 that the 2 SYS 2 would have cost me.  I also planned to buy another Plug-it to put in a hose sleeve with the vac hose like I have done with a Mirka cord, so another $44 saved.  I also plan to buy 2 more tools before the end of the year so another $100 saved.  So in total I would have spent $292 that I got for $297 so I have 3 sanders, a Systainer, 2 Plug-its the extra bits and pieces and a $50 voucher for next year that cost me $5...  I can't be the only one that ordered these without any regard to the sander itself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

Then we bend back to looking at how many new owners to Festool they really are.  It very well may be the majority that buy it are Festool owners already and have a better chance of understanding the sander or at least knowing where to look to find out.  My point being the fact that the approach was a poor idea to get these in non-Festoolian hands may turn out to be a blessing to Festool.  

For me this is a money savings opportunity even though I have little interest in the sander itself.  I ended up buying three of these. I had already planned to buy three Systainers and a plug-it in the next month.  I want to build three inserts to organize my RO90 papers and my 5 and 6" discs for my Mirka sanders.  While the 6" will need a Sys 3 I "saved" $148 that the 2 SYS 2 would have cost me.  I also planned to buy another Plug-it to put in a hose sleeve with the vac hose like I have done with a Mirka cord, so another $44 saved.  I also plan to buy 2 more tools before the end of the year so another $100 saved.  So in total I would have spent $292 that I got for $297 so I have 3 sanders, a Systainer, 2 Plug-its the extra bits and pieces and a $50 voucher for next year that cost me $5...  I can't be the only one that ordered these without any regard to the sander itself.

 

You arent :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked UPS tracking, mine should be waiting for my when I get home from work today!  My first Green tool!  Now just to justify the use of the $50 rebate on a Domino!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any interest in a short vid? Was thinking about it, but I don't really do videos.

The blue sys looks fantastic. They should start making them all this color.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cochese said:

Any interest in a short vid? Was thinking about it, but I don't really do videos.

The blue sys looks fantastic. They should start making them all this color.

I was thinking of doing on myself just to show how the sander oscillated back and forth. Have you used yours yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chestnut said:

I was thinking of doing on myself just to show how the sander oscillated back and forth. Have you used yours yet?

No, haven't left my home office for the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chestnut said:

Booo!!! Stick it to the man!

I have the next two weeks off, so I'm tying up loose ends.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with myself. I've never had a two week vacation before. I hope I'm not tempted to log into work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cochese said:

I have the next two weeks off, so I'm tying up loose ends.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with myself. I've never had a two week vacation before. I hope I'm not tempted to log into work.

Vacation is too sacred to me to take 2 weeks of and not travel. I suggest when you get the feeling to log in to work to hop in your car and go somewhere even if it's only 30 min away, see something new.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

Vacation is too sacred to me to take 2 weeks of and not travel. I suggest when you get the feeling to log in to work to hop in your car and go somewhere even if it's only 30 min away, see something new.

I think the family and I may go camping for a couple of days. I have a ceiling of 300 hours PTO that once I hit, I stop accruing. I'm a paycheck away from that happening, so might as well spend some.

I know some people that basically take the last two months of the year off. That would sure be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 100 Guests (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    28614
    Total Topics
    386055
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    21618
    Total Members
    1529
    Most Online
    Newwoodhobby
    Newest Member
    Newwoodhobby
    Joined