$99 Festool Sander


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this is the first time anyone has offered a Lie Nielsen product as the budget option. 

It is and I have his thread booked for future cabinet and hand tool ideas 

Posted Images

Finally got an email from the dealer I ordered it from. This is the FIRST communication ive received from them in regards to what I call, "The great sander debacle of 2016"

Good day,

  As most of you are aware now, we and all other participating Festool dealers have received an unprecedented number of orders for these sanders, which has far surpassed Festool's projections and caused delays in the fulfillment of many of the orders we have received.    While we have been able to fulfill many of the first orders we received for these sanders, we need to ask for continued patience from those whose orders remain unfulfilled. Festool has just provided us with their estimates for when we will be able to fulfill your order:   - Starting in mid-January, we will be able to continue shipping orders for these sanders, again on a first come, first serve basis.   - We will be receiving regular, biweekly shipments of these sanders into March, at which point all orders will be fulfilled.   - While we will do our best to adhere to this schedule, circumstances beyond our control may occur that delay this timeline.   We thank you for your patience thus far, and appreciate your understanding as we work through the process of getting everyone their tools.   Please see below for answers to some frequently asked questions; these points should help to answer any concerns you may have in the meanwhile.   - How do the $50 vouchers work? Can we redeem them before we've received our sander? The vouchers included with these tools are redeemable after the purchase of a second tool; you will be directed to a website set up for the purpose and prompted for the serial number of both your sander and the new tool you've purchased as well as the voucher code, after which Festool will mail a cheque to your address.   - Will the expiry date of these vouchers be extended beyond the original date due to the late receipt of the sanders? No, unfortunately the original expiry date of the vouchers will remain the same.   - Can these vouchers be applied to tool purchases made before receipt of the Pro 5 sander? Yes! Any tools purchased after November 1st will be eligible for use with the $50 voucher. This includes any tools purchased before you receive your sander provided they are purchased after November 1st.    - Why do I not see the value my order on my credit card statement? We do not complete the financial transaction for your order until it is being prepared for shipment; the value of your order is placed in a preauthorization when the order is placed, and the transaction is completed the day we ship.   We apologize for any inconvenience these delays may cause, and thank you again for your continued patience. If anyone has any questions about anything regarding these sanders or their order, or has any other inquiries, please call or write us and we'd be happy to help.   Sincerely, The Atlas Machinery Team

Ugh.... Probably means I'm not getting one Til at least January then, since I haven't heard anything since the initial "it will be delayed" email from toolnut.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JosephThomas said:

Finally got an update...looks like mine isn't shipping until mid - March...what a blow.

Just go on Craigslist. theres at least ten for sale from $330 to $200...I haven't seen one listing come down yet. . we called it.  the glut of people buying to make a quick easy buck  now have hundreds tied up in these blue boxes they can't sell.  I'll bet the price will continue sinking to even below the $100 sales price before they stabilize. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Just go on Craigslist. theres at least ten for sale from $330 to $200...I haven't seen one listing come down yet. . we called it.  the glut of people buying to make a quick easy buck  now have hundreds tied up in these blue boxes they can't sell.  I'll bet the price will continue sinking to even below the $100 sales price before they stabilize. 

They're obviously too high.  They are selling in the $160-170 range though ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I'm just annoyed that all those dummies have them sitting around and I don't have one...ideally they should have just limited it to 1 sander per household or whatever.

I hope those ppl have fun not selling the sanders for months and months. I'l admit part of my calculus for buying it was that I had already planned a domino purchase sometime this year, so that basically makes it a $50 sander...guess I might as well continue waiting for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait a year...they'll be selling for full retail, just like every other Festool.  The market will only be flooded for so long.  Right now amateur resellers are panicking and they're gonna cut each other's throats until there's no meat left on the bone.  Slowly but surely supply will diminish and prices will go back up.  It was a decent flip if you were willing to wait for a while. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

They're obviously too high.  They are selling in the $160-170 range though ;)

The $170-180 range seems to be the price the market is setting currently based on eBay sales.   People that are breaking them down into the sander/parts and systainer voucher seem to be getting the most "return".  I honestly don't think we have seen the glut yet as I think a lot are being held for later.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

#capitalism

I do feel a bit dirty flipping these, but at the end of the day it's how the world works.  Millions of people make a living and more by buying cheap and selling high, I don't.  I came across some tools that were in stock that people were fighting over and I'm making a little side money off them.  The people buying aren't complaining about their $200 sander plus voucher they are getting for $170.  I could have waited to maximize profit, but I didn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If your capitalism lesson was aimed at me, you have no idea what I do. I make my living from the Capitol markets.  I also never said or implied there was a darn thing wrong with flipping them but the most rudimentary rule that a sophomore economic class student could argue is supply and demand controlling price. I don't need a CFA for that. 

This is the reason the de beers company owns almost every diamond producing mine in the world. They control the flow of a plentiful natural anomaly into the market and boom, prices are supported from something worthless into something precious.

Take last year's energy bust.  oil didn't go from $90 a barrel to high 20's because we stopped using oil. plentiful shale oil steadily coming to Market drove  the price down below where producers could makeep it for. 

A lot of buyers bought multiple sanders with intention to resell them.  a lot are on the market with lots more to come.  the price doesn't stay low after the supply unbalance is fixed but I do bet we see them a lot lower. especially from guys with $500 tied up in 5 sanders they don't need and cant sell for the pie the sky easy pay day.  the opportunity cost of carrying them as inventory will be to much and there will be fire sales. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand all the capitalism stuff, but it's still ridiculous. You can't discount anything without someone coming along to buy out your inventory so they can turn a buck. I dislike it greatly. For the very reasons we see on here where people have to wait 4 months to get their sander while someone else has 20. One of the first lessons we were taught is how to share, and plenty of people forget this most basic thing. It doesn't have to be about you and your profit.

FYI, that's not directed at anyone. I don't get to decide how the world works, and I can accept that, but I still choose to dislike this practice.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

If your capitalism lesson was aimed at me, you have no idea what I do. I make my living from the Capitol markets.  I also never said or implied there was a darn thing wrong with flipping them but the most rudimentary rule that a sophomore economic class student could argue is supply and demand controlling price. I don't need a CFA for that. 

This is the reason the de beers company owns almost every diamond producing mine in the world. They control the flow of a plentiful natural anomaly into the market and boom, prices are supported from something worthless into something precious.

Take last year's energy bust.  oil didn't go from $90 a barrel to high 20's because we stopped using oil. plentiful shale oil steadily coming to Market drove  the price down below where producers could makeep it for. 

A lot of buyers bought multiple sanders with intention to resell them.  a lot are on the market with lots more to come.  the price doesn't stay low after the supply unbalance is fixed but I do bet we see them a lot lower. especially from guys with $500 tied up in 5 sanders they don't need and cant sell for the pie the sky easy pay day.  the opportunity cost of carrying them as inventory will be to much and there will be fire sales. 

I'm way too tired to read all of that, but no, it wasn't aimed at you.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cochese said:

It's not good enough of a sander to get in a tizzy over.

Only my opinion, naturally.

 

I think part of the issue is the (original) price was so low that for many people it isn't/wasn't about the sander.  A Sys2, a Plugit and a $50 voucher for $99 is a deal for a Festoolian.  If they had sold the Pro 5 in a cardboard box with the cord/protector/adaptor for $49, I MAY have bought 1, had they sold the Systainer and Plugit for $49 I would have probably bought the 4 I have. The sanders for me were simply a windfall of a lifetime supply of 5" finish sanders of which 3 will live on a high shelf until the first one dies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

especially from guys with $500 tied up in 5 sanders they don't need and cant sell for the pie the sky easy pay day.  the opportunity cost of carrying them as inventory will be to much and there will be fire sales. 

Depends on their bankroll.  I make my living holding inventory.  I work on ROI, not volume, so long-term holds are my bread and butter.  I see people working themselves to death on 5% ROI and good for them.  I'll wait a bit longer and take 50%.  If you wanna see a supply spike death spiral, watch an Amazon listing when a high demand item in low supply hits the shelves again.  Sellers panic like they're facing the great depression.  Fools.

That will happen with these sanders, and the smart sellers will put their extra units in their basement for a year or two, and then sell them off for 300% profit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Depends on their bankroll.  I make my living holding inventory.  I work on ROI, not volume, so long-term holds are my bread and butter.  I see people working themselves to death on 5% ROI and good for them.  I'll wait a bit longer and take 50%.  If you wanna see a supply spike death spiral, watch an Amazon listing when a high demand item in low supply hits the shelves again.  Sellers panic like they're facing the great depression.  Fools.

That will happen with these sanders, and the smart sellers will put their extra units in their basement for a year or two, and then sell them off for 300% profit.

I did the same with memory chips 20 years ago. Now I'm brushing my teeth with baking soda:(

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eric. said:

Depends on their bankroll.  I make my living holding inventory.  I work on ROI, not volume, so long-term holds are my bread and butter.  I see people working themselves to death on 5% ROI and good for them.  I'll wait a bit longer and take 50%.  If you wanna see a supply spike death spiral, watch an Amazon listing when a high demand item in low supply hits the shelves again.  Sellers panic like they're facing the great depression.  Fools.

That will happen with these sanders, and the smart sellers will put their extra units in their basement for a year or two, and then sell them off for 300% profit.

You do and as a professional Etailer, I would expect that. You carry inventory which sells and feeds your family.  With absolutely zero evidence to support it, it would me my assumption that a lot of the seller out there (right now)  be it ebay or Craigslist are like the dozen in this thread alone that just bought extras to flip.  Those aren't the guys who want to carry inventory. 

Now I could also be totally wrong and the tool support the high prices but reading through the so so and sub par reviews out there,  I don't think I am. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never see the market supporting more than a little over $200 for these assuming the new ETS 125 follows the upgraded RTS and DTS and the price remains $195 when it finally hits our shores.  Currently, the "value" compared with the standard Festool prices is right at $250, 195 plus 50 for the voucher and $5 for the extra abrasives.  The longer they sit the shorter the warranty.  This excludes the idea the blue Systainer doesn't become a sought after item.  The guys splitting them up are netting about $200 (after auction fees) and a short term flip where you double your money isn't a bad deal.  My family company does this all the time and is happy with a 25% net but it is done on a commercial scale akin to 5 or more 40' containers of sanders.  There are guys already that have netted $600 to $700 with a minimal amount of work which to some is not worth the effort and to others it is a 2 week paycheck and then there are the guys that do this to fund their Festool habit.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

That was the most pc way I've heard one military guy tell another to pound sand.

Was that aimed at me :)  I wasn't telling you to pound sand, I wasn't mad, and I'm not military.  The biggest mistake of my life was not enlisting...a dang girl got in the way.

 

13 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

  There are guys already that have netted $600 to $700 with a minimal amount of work which to some is not worth the effort and to others it is a 2 week paycheck and then there are the guys that do this to fund their Festool habit.  

Yup.  My sole motivation was to generate some cash to buy some tools.  I'm going to get a "free" mid range track saw and a few odds and ends out of this, I'm OK with the idea that I could have held onto them and squeezed a few more dollars out of them in a year. Truth be told, had I known how easy they would sell I would have bought twice as many as I did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Now I could also be totally wrong and the tool support the high prices but reading through the so so and sub par reviews out there,  I don't think I am. 

Festool purchasers are irrational beings.  If the retail price is $300, that's what they'll pay, regardless of whether or not it justifies that price.  How much do Festool drills cost?  Anyone willing to pay that kind of money for a freaking drill will certainly throw the cash away on a sander too...especially one in a ***BLUE*** Systainer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Festool purchasers are irrational beings.  If the retail price is $300, that's what they'll pay, regardless of whether or not it justifies that price.  How much do Festool drills cost?  Anyone willing to pay that kind of money for a freaking drill will certainly throw the cash away on a sander too...especially one in a ***BLUE*** Systainer.

AMEN !

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.