Double sided tape?

MisterDrow

Funny you should ask that today as I have spent a bit of time researching that very same question the last couple days. It seems MANY people use and like the stuff from Peachtree the best (LINK) I actually just ordered some myself to try out. I read too many people having issues with the various kinds of carpet tapes to try those.

There is also the stuff from Eagle which I have read is good, but I didnt order any of it (LINK).

• Like 1

I go to Ace Hardware. They have two types of carpet tape. One is "heavy duty" cloth backed and is VERY strong, a bit thicker and sometimes hard to get things apart without cracking the wood. The other (which is what I use most of the time) is plastic back, a bit thinner and not nearly as hard to remove. You still have to separate the wood pieces with a putty knife and/or a screwdriver. The plastic back is also a bit cheaper too. They are both branded as Ace products.

• Like 1

Cool! Lots of great responses! Thanks, guys! I'll try a couple things out that have been suggested and report back. 

@BonPacific it seems that you are using the same foam mounting/craft tape that I wondered about... you haven't had any trouble with it, then?

As for the carpet tape options... I have heard mixed things about it. Some say it sticks too much, others say it's not enough. I'm assuming there are some brand and type differences, there, like @Rapid Roger explained. I've only seen the cloth backed stuff at the local BBS but there's an Ace Hardware about 20 mins from my house so I'll check it out for the plastic backed stuff.

@bradpotts I wondered about that stuff... given how duct tape tends to leave glue behind I hesitated in using it... I assume this is not actual duct tape (I know you said 'duck' but I have only ever seen them make duct tape). I'll give it a shot, as well.

3 minutes ago, MisterDrow said:

Cool! Lots of great responses! Thanks, guys! I'll try a couple things out that have been suggested and report back. 

@BonPacific it seems that you are using the same foam mounting/craft tape that I wondered about... you haven't had any trouble with it, then?

As for the carpet tape options... I have heard mixed things about it. Some say it sticks too much, others say it's not enough. I'm assuming there are some brand and type differences, there, like @Rapid Roger explained. I've only seen the cloth backed stuff at the local BBS but there's an Ace Hardware about 20 mins from my house so I'll check it out for the plastic backed stuff.

@bradpotts I wondered about that stuff... given how duct tape tends to leave glue behind I hesitated in using it... I assume this is not actual duct tape (I know you said 'duck' but I have only ever seen them make duct tape). I'll give it a shot, as well.

The stuff I linked too isn't foam, just large-format double-sided tape. The plastic is less stiff than Scotch or Sellotape, so it conforms pretty nicely without wrinkling. I don't do a lot of routing, but it has performed great for sacrificial fences or batching out pieces on the bandsaw. Little to no residue, and the few times I've left it on for too long (couple weeks) a razor blade or card scraper cleans the glue right off without damage.

• Like 1

Since you asked specifically about template routing, a tape with a rubbery consistency is a no-go.  Shifting of the template during the cut results in inconsistent fit and finish.  The Peachtree tape ben_R_ links to looks like the stuff I sometimes get from Rockler. 

The problem shows up when sellers source from different places and use the same item number.  I have had to return some tape to Rockler when the product that showed up was more like the gummy carpet tape sort of backing than the thin linen-like backing I prefer.

The painters tape to each surface and then super gluing the painter's tape together (jump to 7:20) works well but, consumes super glue at a rate some of us are OK with and some of us are not.  My commitment to waste product to perform a task depends n the task at hand and I have used the super glue method with good result when I have been caught without my preferred tape.

• Like 1

I did not try the CA/Blue Tape trick yet, but the Spectape @midtnwoodworker recommended has worked great for me. It's technically designed as grip tape for golf clubs, but it has not failed me yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ASGL02/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, but I bought it at my local Woodcraft store.

-E

18 hours ago, K Cooper said:

I can only guess, unless you're jackin with me. Blue tape to the wood/pattern and super glue to the tape?

I'm serious... Put a piece of blue tape on both pieces, and glue them together. The blue tape releases easily, and the tape sticks to itself.

I template routed a piece with this method, and then I was curious so I used this method to fix a piece of wood to my bench and hand plane it. Piece didn't budge. 

Watch... Go to about the 10 minute mark for template routing.