Best locking caster for table saw cart

treesner

Wondering what your guy's favorite casters are and if you use different ones for different shop carts.

i need to build a cart to move my contractor table saw around the shop, plan to put the planer under neath it as well just need to figure out the casters I'll use to compensate for the height. 

There are many variables to consider. How smooth is your shop floor? What's it made of? How clean is it?

If you have a smooth concrete floor that's kept clean, then phenolic are very good, Long wearing & super easy rolling

For wood floors, urethane is better because it's softer & less likely to damage the floor. It will also roll over wood chips & debris easier than phenolic.

Rough concrete, or floors that are always covered in debris will need softer rubber casters.

If you have a local caster store, go for a visit & talk to the guys there about your needs. We have one here called, what else, Casterland. They stock just about every kind & size of caster you can imagine, & then some. And the guys there are really knowledgeable. Their prices are also better than any of the big box stores.

1 minute ago, drzaius said:

I find a mobile base that has the cart/machine resting on the floor to be more stable than casters that lock. And casters will raise the machine, which may not be desired. 

I don't need to worry about the height because I'm going to build the cart with the wheel height in mind. The ones that pop up/down seem to make it more stable though 

I like my shop fox mobile base.  It doesn't use locking castors but a screw down post so to speak that locks the machine in place.  I don't like how even locking castors can still rotate after you have locked them.  The threaded posts work well with just a couple turns to keep the saw very stationary. 

I set locking casters and then push the saw. The casters rotate and then become stable. Sometimes fixed orientation casters are better if you can fix the orientation crosswise to the force. Table saws should not have an awful lot of push force exerted on them. A lot of force messes with fence settings etc.

ps: I am using a mobile rig currently. I don't like it any more or less than the locking casters. The caster wheels on this Shop Fox or Grizz rig are so small as to not roll easily over the curb of my garage floor where it meets the drive. It is necessary though as my saw has a built in cabinet. 

On October 19, 2016 at 7:19 AM, drzaius said:

If you have something really heavy, look into the SawStop ICS mobile base. It's pretty much the king of mobility. Costs a fortune though.

this is relatively light contractor saw and contractor planner 

I didn't really have many options at my home depot, I liked these as when you engaged the lock it stopped it from swiveling. however they didn't sell the same wheel/height with non locking/swiveling. I think the best setup would be non swivel wheels on the right side of the cabinet and swivel locking on the front so that when you push on the table saw the friction of perpendicular wheels helps you. I don't really want to lock 4 wheels overtime i want to move it

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-in-Polyurethane-Swivel-Caster-with-Brake-4120545EB/203672194

0a41209f-73a8-4d01-b0a9-27a538ef74d3_100

As far as casters go, the best ones I've personally used are the ones from Peachtree woodworking. You can get straight plain or double locking swivel in a variety of sizes. I have a pair of each in 4" (5.25" total height) on my flip-top planer cart, four double locking on my router table, and would use them again on any item that called for that application. They usually go on sale during their Black Friday event, if you have the luxury of waiting a month. I have complete trust that either will not walk around when using, and you can understand the need for that trust when using a router table.

I do like those workbench-style drop casters though. Might add a set to my lathe when I get into a new shop, it would be nice to wheel that beast around easier. Perhaps the same thing for my workbench.

I have used the locking casters from Peachtree as well. Both the 3" and the 4" ones. I use  them in my shop and for a few client projects as well. The  double lock is much more stable, the swivel and the wheel don't move. If only the wheel is locked when you push on the cart it can move when the wheels swivel even if they don't roll at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2016 at 6:33 PM, Cochese said:

As far as casters go, the best ones I've personally used are the ones from Peachtree woodworking. You can get straight plain or double locking swivel in a variety of sizes. I have a pair of each in 4" (5.25" total height) on my flip-top planer cart, four double locking on my router table, and would use them again on any item that called for that application. They usually go on sale during their Black Friday event, if you have the luxury of waiting a month. I have complete trust that either will not walk around when using, and you can understand the need for that trust when using a router table.

I do like those workbench-style drop casters though. Might add a set to my lathe when I get into a new shop, it would be nice to wheel that beast around easier. Perhaps the same thing for my workbench.

On 10/20/2016 at 6:49 PM, wdwerker said:

I have used the locking casters from Peachtree as well. Both the 3" and the 4" ones. I use  them in my shop and for a few client projects as well. The  double lock is much more stable, the swivel and the wheel don't move. If only the wheel is locked when you push on the cart it can move when the wheels swivel even if they don't roll at all.

Are the peach tree ones a brand or just a double locking caster? 

http://www.ptreeusa.com/wheels_casters.htm

wondering if the home depot double locking are the same

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-in-Polyurethane-Swivel-Caster-with-Brake-4120545EB/203672194

I've not used the flat wheel that corresponds to the heavy duty version. I use the medium duty rounder, darker red wheel. Works fine for my applications. 220lbs per wheel is a lot.

I wonder how much better, if there is a difference, the brake works on the flatter wheel. No complaints though.