Can I get some help understanding how to take precise measurements please

FLY-FAST

Hi All.

I am hoping that I can get some advice regarding a measuring conundrum I am facing.  I have taken on a woodworking project that requires precise measuring.  For example, the measurements that I need to cut is 6 & 7/64 " and 5 & 9/16" and 6 & 57/64'th".

I have standard tools including a 6" micrometer. 

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction here?  

Gonna need a 0.3mm mechanical pencil and some good eyes. You need those magnifying glasses you can flip down. With all those measurements, i would prefer to "sneak up" on the cut. Human error with marking the line accurately off a rule/tape can lead to missing the dimension 40-50% of the time. and by "missing", i mean by 1/64". 1/64th is pretty much the width of a 0.5mm mechanical pencil line, which side of the marked line do you cut on? See where i am going? Better to cut it 1/32 long and this breathe on it until it fits perfectly. 

At that level of accuracy I use a magnifying headband and mark with a marking knife or an Xacto . Then you can color the cut with a thin mechanical pencil and you can sneak up on the cut. If you don't have a combonation square with 64ths on it look at .

http://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/12-2-pc-combination-square-metric-usa.html

When I want a more precise cut I mark with a knife rather than a pencil and use the same measuring device throughout the project. I would try a steel rule for less than foot lengths.

Your dilemma reminded me of the old machinist maxim, measure with a micrometer, mark with soapstone and cut with an axe.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

• Like 2