power tool cart — small shop

treesner

Hey guys i'm trying to figure out how to handle my small space woodshop. I was thinking that putting tools on caster carts would be the best. There's room under each cart so wondering if you had thoughts on pairing tools together. 

woodshop.jpgw

TABLE SAW / PLANER / ROUTER

Built this one last week, plan to add pop up table for router as well as pull out outfeed. drawer for blades and push sticks

table-saw-cart.jpg

BANDSAW / DRILL PRESS / COMPRESSOR

The thought is that these tools are both tall so put them next to eachother as they won't fit under a low shelf

–drawer for drill bits and maybe some hand power tools?

bandsaw.jpg

bandsaw-cart.jpg

BELT SANDER / SHOP VAC / HAND SANDERS/GRINDERS

Was thinking it would be smart to put the shop vac under the belt sander and have it hooked up to that. Then hang the hand sander on the side.

One thought would be to not put belt sander on top of the shop vac/hand sanding as that cart might be nice as an outfeed table as i could put the piece i'm sanding on that and also use as glue up table

sander.jpg

sand-cart.jpg

FUTURE: MITER SAW / SCRAP BIN

Thinking that the miter saw might be nice on top of the scrap bin. I might hold off on the miter saw though since space is so limited I can just use my sled for accurate cuts and circ saw for building cuts

scraps.jpg

OUTFEED TABLE

?

OTHER TOOLS IM FORGETTING

?

I went the "everything on wheels" path with my shop... And I've been slowly shrinking back from that idea. I found that while moving the tools around was sometimes handy, it often meant that I just ended up with more crap strewn about in places I couldn't get to it. One cart would be parked in front of another and so on. Also, any cart is going to take up an extra couple inches of empty space on either side. With three carts along one wall, I found I had around a foot of dead space, either between the carts, or where the sides weren't useful.

I do have two carts that I love. A flip-top cart with my sander (Ridgid oscillating belt) and planer (DeWalt 734). And my drill press/grinder cart. The drill press cart is relatively small, and I built it with a full set of drawers for accessories and extra fasteners. The sanding/planing cart is nice because I can roll it outside when using those tools, since neither has great dust collection options.

Putting the shop-vac in the same cart as the sander makes sense. Though with the Festool already on pretty good wheels, it may not be necessary. Moving the vac will be easier than moving a cart (meaning you'll do it more frequently).

Miter Saw's are something of a debate. I have one, and avoid using it whenever possible. I'm going to be moving it out of my shop into my lumber shed soon. It was paired with a Hollow-chisel mortiser I got as a gift, and have never used. So the second half of that flip-top cart may well be going into storage.

From your picture, it looks like you have some mixed storage in there (banker boxes). You could save a lot of floor space by putting a shelf for them up near the ceiling above that window.

On November 3, 2016 at 9:50 AM, BonPacific said:

I went the "everything on wheels" path with my shop... And I've been slowly shrinking back from that idea. I found that while moving the tools around was sometimes handy, it often meant that I just ended up with more crap strewn about in places I couldn't get to it. One cart would be parked in front of another and so on. Also, any cart is going to take up an extra couple inches of empty space on either side. With three carts along one wall, I found I had around a foot of dead space, either between the carts, or where the sides weren't useful.

I do have two carts that I love. A flip-top cart with my sander (Ridgid oscillating belt) and planer (DeWalt 734). And my drill press/grinder cart. The drill press cart is relatively small, and I built it with a full set of drawers for accessories and extra fasteners. The sanding/planing cart is nice because I can roll it outside when using those tools, since neither has great dust collection options.

Putting the shop-vac in the same cart as the sander makes sense. Though with the Festool already on pretty good wheels, it may not be necessary. Moving the vac will be easier than moving a cart (meaning you'll do it more frequently).

Miter Saw's are something of a debate. I have one, and avoid using it whenever possible. I'm going to be moving it out of my shop into my lumber shed soon. It was paired with a Hollow-chisel mortiser I got as a gift, and have never used. So the second half of that flip-top cart may well be going into storage.

From your picture, it looks like you have some mixed storage in there (banker boxes). You could save a lot of floor space by putting a shelf for them up near the ceiling above that window.

Any before / after photos of your setup? 

The thing I was thinking with the carts is that each corner would get a cart and if i did two tools for top of the cart i'd put the lesser needed tool in the more cramped part and pull it out if need more room. The alternative would be to do one long table that had all the tools on it on one side.

689f703882730e62a346ea24545be278.jpg

355600-438x.jpg

I'd like to get rid of that taller shelf system on the left and do shelving at head height and above then shelving with bench top space left and right.