Router sleds, who's made one

Gixxerjoe04

Looking to build a router sled but not sure what route to go.  Thought about building a frame that will stay flat and i can move out of the way and lean it on my wall and put it on some saw horses or something when I need to use it, not sure if that would be a good idea or not, or what/how I should make it.  Thought about using my outfeed table but it's dimensions for the top is roughly a half sheet of mdf which is wide enough but not long enough for one slab I have.  Plus I guess I didn't put enough support in the middle, that or just using 2x4's sucks since it has a slight sag in the middle and afraid that would mess things up when flattening.  Looking for pics, tips, ideas of making one that will be nice and flat and hopefully worry about trying to flatten a slab and messing it up. 

The one time I used a router 'sled', it was 2 sticks of angle-iron C-clamped to some blocks across each end, and laid across a stack of 3/4" plywood scraps on either side of the panel I was flattening. My tablesaw served as the flat base. Worked ok, but sounds too small for your needs.

How big is your slab? Are the edges relatively straight, or are you doing a live-edge thing?

39 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

What's the longest,  flat surface you have?  my router sled spans 36" so that I can clamp rails to my bench and let it ride. 

My outfeed table is the biggest almost flat surface i have, don't have an actual work bench or anything. 

38 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

The one time I used a router 'sled', it was 2 sticks of angle-iron C-clamped to some blocks across each end, and laid across a stack of 3/4" plywood scraps on either side of the panel I was flattening. My tablesaw served as the flat base. Worked ok, but sounds too small for your needs.

How big is your slab? Are the edges relatively straight, or are you doing a live-edge thing?

Live edge slabs, so varying dimensions quite a bit.

Here is an alternative idea; make an open-topped 'box' of MDF, large enough to house the slab, and just a bit deeper than the thickness. Make sure the sides are straight, and the bottom is flat. Lay the slab in it and wedge / shim it as if for a pass through the planer for flattening. Use enough adhesive (or clamps) to hold it firmly in the box, then turn it over so the open side faces down. Run this rig across the widest dado stack your TS can hold, in successive passes. No extra-large table surface is required. You can clamp the slab into this rig with wedge blocks and screws through the box to avoid the glue mess, but you'll have to clean up the edges with a hand plane.

Disclaimer - I have never tried this, it is just a MaGuyver-ish solution I thought up to address some of the problems with the router method.