Black Friday Deals & Discussion

Cliff

58 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

This sums up my experience.  They are last to be reached for; even after my Woodcraft Groz K-Body clones.  There are folks who really love them though.  This is just another example of how one woodworker finds one tool or technique to work best while another shakes his head.  This is one of the great strengths of a forum; differing opinions from different folks.

Alas, the thrill of Black Friday has lost its edge for me.  I have reached maximum density and if anything wants to come it, something needs to leave.  This however, doesn't stop me from greedily looking over the ads when they come in.

Same here. I have about a dozen Bessy kbody clamps, 8 Jorgensen parallel clamps, and 4 Jet clamps. The Jet clamps only get used in the rare case where I need to use more than 20 clamps because they are the last ones I reach for

5 minutes ago, Andy Wright said:

Same here. I have about a dozen Bessy kbody clamps, 8 Jorgensen parallel clamps, and 4 Jet clamps. The Jet clamps only get used in the rare case where I need to use more than 20 clamps because they are the last ones I reach for

How do you compare the bessy to the Jorgensen? Are they similar?

29 minutes ago, Cliff said:

OK so.. apparently getting a bandsaw from ND to IL is next day shipping?! Of course the truck it's on doesn't have lift gate, and they said one that will have that won't be in the area until next week. So yeah @Gixxerjoe04 - free shipping and that $75 handling fee (but I think every place has that, could be wrong) and it came next day. Not bad.

Did it ship from ND? I feel like acme is expanding towards the Minieapolis St paul area which isn't far from you. The few guys i know that work for them have been traveling east to get new building set up.

50 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Did it ship from ND? I feel like acme is expanding towards the Minieapolis St paul area which isn't far from you. The few guys i know that work for them have been traveling east to get new building set up.

I can't be sure it shipped from ND. The lady on the phone said "we have a package from ND.." so I'm guessing so. But I don't know if this kind of shipping if they are required to put the actual place it ships from or if they just have their acme tools label that says SD no matter what facility it comes from. Either way, I'm pretty impressed with this company. They were very fast with the Domino as well. The only reason it got delayed was because I learned my debit card has a limit and I had to call the bank and raise it for the charge to go through.

4 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I can't be sure it shipped from ND. The lady on the phone said "we have a package from ND.." so I'm guessing so. But I don't know if this kind of shipping if they are required to put the actual place it ships from or if they just have their acme tools label that says SD no matter what facility it comes from. Either way, I'm pretty impressed with this company. They were very fast with the Domino as well. The only reason it got delayed was because I learned my debit card has a limit and I had to call the bank and raise it for the charge to go through.

Huh i thought with the national success they are getting they would try getting centralized shipping facilities to make shipping faster to all corners of the US. I don't get to order for Acme tax free but i think the tax would have been less then shipping in this case. 6% sales tax! Congrats on the saw. I'd say too bad you have to wait till Monday but it doesn't sound like you'll have it running right away any way. Hope you get your shop straightened out soon.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

The Jorgensens and Jet clamps are both heavier than the Bessey clamps and the Jorgensens have larger jaws than Bessey.

I am sure there are cases where "bigger is better" when you are clamping, but I can't recall a time when I needed more clamping force than the Bessey's could provide. For almost all of my use cases the lighter weight and easier/quicker adjustment of Bessey clamps wins out. Most of my Bessey clamps are the older K-bodys with the wooden handle that I bought around 10-12 years when they had a 50% off sale, but I do have a few of the newer style clamps and can't tell much difference

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric. said:

I own Jet and Bessey parallel clamps.  The Bessey heads slide easier on the bar but they have more flex.  The Jets can be a little sticky, especially when they get boogered up with glue...but they are the heaviest duty of all the clamps.  I don't know for sure but it feels like you can exert more clamping pressure with the Jets than you can with the Besseys.  Both the heads and the bars are more robust.

Whether or not you need all that clamping pressure on a regular basis will depend on the work you do.  For me, usually not, but I'm glad I have the power when I need it.  I wouldn't wanna glue up a Roubo top without them.  I think for regular furniture projects the Besseys probably hit the sweet spot...but I don't see them on sale for 50% off so that's how I ended up with mostly Jet.

Agreed. I have both, along with others and I prefer the Jets. I wax the bars to keep glue off and haven't found it to cause any slipping. I have had infrequent problems with the Revos slipping or loosening over long clamping periods.

I'm guessing WMH Tool is not doing so great, or greed is setting in. Powermatic no longer does 15% off sales. 15% off is only on Jet PM is 10%. Haven't seen PM at 15% off all year. 

As far as clamps go, I'm glad I'm pretty well stocked on clamps at this point. I've got 4 of each size in the Jet clamps and 2 24" jorgys and 2 40" besseys. 

I think of all the things I'll pick up something stupid (like the sorby thin cut parting tool, and the flexcut detail knife) at woodcraft and probably some random crap from home depot. 

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

15% off bessey ?! I'd be clearing the shelf...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I played with both the bessys and the jets while i was standing there and i don't know if i like the revo Jr. clamps they were small and flimsy feeling. I'd rather do the 20% on the jets i think I'd be happier.

Dang it why did jorgensen have to go out of business.

• Like 2

I played with both the bessys and the jets while i was standing there and i don't know if i like the revo Jr. clamps they were small and flimsy feeling. I'd rather do the 20% on the jets i think I'd be happier.

Dang it why did jorgensen have to go out of business.

Why would you get the revo jr's? Just get the regular revos.

Just now, shaneymack said:

Why would you get the revo jr's? Just get the regular revos.

They didn't have regulars just the Jr's.

1 minute ago, Cochese said:

20% off the clamps isn't worth getting out of bed over. Meh.

That's why i wouldn't get out of bed .. duh.

I just bought some more of the Menards 12" clamps i actually like them they are bessy style F clamps and work really well $8 each.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I just bought some more of the Menards 12" clamps i actually like them they are bessy style F clamps and work really well $8 each.

I am not positive that this is a great sale, but I just bought a couple. 

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/bessey-kbody-revo-clamps-on-sale.aspx

12 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I have some of the menards wide mouth 10" (maybe 12, but I think 10) clamps. They are fantastic. I'd like to get another 6 or so.