Black Friday Deals & Discussion

Cliff

I don't quite understand the lee valley "deals" you're buying planes that are seconds with manufacturing issues whether it's a blemish or a casting issue with random bumps and nubs on the casting. There's no way they can sell them at the regular price so it's just a discounted second, and the discount isn't really anything that warrants any sort of craziness to clamor over them.

• Like 1

I don't quite understand the lee valley "deals" you're buying planes that are seconds with manufacturing issues whether it's a blemish or a casting issue with random bumps and nubs on the casting. There's no way they can sell them at the regular price so it's just a discounted second, and the discount isn't really anything that warrants any sort of craziness to clamor over them.

The one I was considering was 23% off... Seems like plenty of discount for a cosmetic detect to me. I guess the clamor is simply over the supply and demand... Most were gone Sunday night.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

I bought one of their seconds & I have not been able to find the defect that made it a second. I guess you take your chances, but I've heard the same thing from others that bought seconds there.

I cut both if these pieces from FAS grade cherry. 

Good cherry: all heart, nice color, even grain (this piece is quartersawn, which I prefer, but that is beside the point) 

image.jpeg

Bad cherry:

Sap, weird colors, mineral streaks, funky asymmetric grain

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

So, in my pictures (left to right) 1,2,3,4,5,6,8 are ok and the boards on the ground and board 7 are bad by the accepted standards?

Yes, and I would say 4-6 are the best.  Nice, tight grain and good color.  

They are all pretty short, which is kind of a bummer.   long boards are nice, even if you don't need an 8' board, when you cut it half you get two boards with good color and grain.  

Now that you have a taste of cherry, you will be seeking the widest, longest boards possible :)

41 minutes ago, Lester Burnham said:

Just waiting for eric to pop in and tell me I'm dumb for paying so much.

Having limited options doesn't make you dumb, just unlucky.  Yeah #7 is a dud, and a few have more sapwood than I would expect at that price...you'll use those boards in an inconspicuous place...no worries.  But at least now you'll get to experience cherry, expensive or not.

I would suggest saving up some money and taking a road trip, and stocking up once or twice a year.  You'll save money that way and you'll get to pick your own boards.

@Bell Forest Products is a forum member.  Maybe you should take it up with them.  

Well, this for sure debunks the theory that the premium price for their project packs gets you a decent color matched pack.  

Personally, I think even $7bd ft shipped is a steep price for a pack of cherry shorts.  They are  probably too short to be considered FAS grade (which requires a 5" x 4' clear cuttings on both faces).  The local dealers sell shorts like that for 50% a FAS price.   

For future reference, shannon at hardwoodtogo sells FAS grade project packs for $4bd ft, shipping ends up being another $4 bd ft (or so, depending on your order).  You will get longer, better color matched boards.  I have bought from him a few times when my work schedule wouldn't allow for a trip to any of my local sources.   He has always shipped top quality stock   

or just plan a day trip to southern indiana, st louis or southern illiniois.   there are great suppliers all over the lower midwest.

A friend of mine buys is lumber here:

http://tinytimbers.com/

Their 4/4 cherry is $4bd ft  

I know it is 2.5 hours from you, but plan a weekend trip with the family around it.  buying lumber is part of the hobby.  If you are going to spend 50 hours on a build, 5 hrs of driving is just part of the process.  

36 minutes ago, Mike. said:

or just plan a day trip to southern indiana, st louis or southern illiniois.   there are great suppliers all over the lower midwest.

A friend of mine buys is lumber here:

http://tinytimbers.com/

Their 4/4 cherry is $4bd ft  

I know it is 2.5 hours from you, but plan a weekend trip with the family around it.  buying lumber is part of the hobby.  If you are going to spend 50 hours on a build, 5 hrs of driving is just part of the process.  

And there's always Eric's yard, in St Louis area, and I'm sure Eric would love to meet and help you get the right stuff you need!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ben_r_ said:

How are these better than good ole Bessey pipe clamps for much less?

They're lighter I'd guess...and at $25, probably not much more than a pipe clamp after you buy the fixture and pipe.  All the 48" pipe clamps I have even came from Harbor Freight and were $8-10 for the fixtures and $10-12 for the pipe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ben_r_ said:

How are these better than good ole Bessey pipe clamps for much less?

A lot of folks like them for the lightweight.  I have two of the Harbor Freight ones firmed up with wood inserts just because I wanted  to try them out.  I'm a dyed in the wool K-body guy but, I see a lot of folks who use these based on the pictures members share. Thought it was worth mentioning.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:53 AM, gee-dub said:

Rockler sure foot 48 inch bar clamps half price today and tomorrow. 

Item #: 41816

I rarely even use this type of clamp and I'm tempted to pick up four of them :-) 

I have four 48" and four 24" and love them.

I don't think they are any better than any others but, when I bought them they were on sale and I didn't have any like them.

They sure make gluing up panels a bunch easier!