Do you guys remember this crazy thing?

bleedinblue

I know it was posted when the guy put out the concept video, but I didn't know it had been posted since it was released that someone had started making it.  I'll likely never own one, just because to me it looks like a time saver just for shop and utility drawers.  Any project drawers deserve better joinery, and I'm sure this thing will cost upwards of $300.

I wonder how strong the drawer or box bottoms would be?  It looks to me like they'd still need pins or splines to add strength, otherwise it'd be little to no stronger than a regular glued miter joint. 

Seems too cute and gadgety to me, but apparently Rockler (or its customers) like that kind of thing, because they have all kinds of gadgets.    It really seems like a solution looking for a problem.  There are dozens of ways to make a drawer box, from simple to complicated, and I don't need another one.  

Just watched his video from the above link. First impression, he seems like a nice, thoughtful guy.

In the video he address some of the common questions.

First people ask about just using a 45 degree router bit. He notes that most cheaper conical type router bits don't come to a sharp point, which means they won't actually allow the sort of fold up closing he's employing. He notes that bits do exist that have a sharp point, but these typically cost around $100. We don't know the price of his system to compare, but it does suggest the router alternative might not be so much cheaper.

He also mentions from his experience the work piece having a tendency to climb up the router bit, resulting in inconsistent depth.

Finally, with straight miter bits or table saw cut miter joints, you have less glue surface area than his joint, and his joint naturally interlocks, making clamping easier, vs. miter surfaces which can (and do) slide past each other.

Anyhow, I thought his assessment was quite fair, he's not saying the alternatives are impossible. He seems to be the kind of guy who knows there is always more than one way to do something in wood working, he just feels his is a good option.

I don't really work with plywood much, nor do I mass produce in the sort of quantity that would justify specialized tools of this sort, but I appreciate his attitude and contribution here.