Secretary desk hardware?

martym

I am in the planing stages of a Secretary desk build and looking for ideas.  I don't care much for the drop front support hardware that attaches to the top writing surface. I would prefer to have drawer style supports under the the writing surface. In my opinion it gives a cleaner look while achieving a more solid surface. After much searching I have seen a few examples of antique desks that use the motion of the opening top to extend the drawer style supports below. Google hasn't been any help. Does anyone know of a source? 

I could make my own if I have to, I am open to ideas. 

Marty, you have to brush up on your Google skills. Took me all of a minute.

Rockler has the hardware set. http://www.rockler.com/federal-desk-plan-and-desk-support-hinge-set 

I looked at a secretary desk we have - it's certainly no antique but it has the under-lid supports like you mention.  The supports are attached to a rod that comes up through a small slot on each side of the inside desk surface and then are attached to the inside of the lid - when the lid is lowered, the rods are pulled forward and pull the slide-out supports.  I didn't look too closely at the Rockler kit but it looks similar and there are instructions available for it.

• 6 years later...

my secretary desk has inside side supports that run along an inside groove.  It seems elegant but the desk only opens so far and won't drop down all the way.  Is there a trick to "releasing" the mechanics so the desk (circa 1910ish) will open fully?