Track saw kickback

bleedinblue

6 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Oh right. I forgot the green and white paint helps it defy the laws of physics. <_<

Really happy to see you guys are starting to catch on....

6 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Yes it does.  You add it to the track. 

I think the stops are for when you want to make a cut in the middle of a panel and limit the saw travel. It gives you the starting point and ending point of the cut.  Ive never heard that they are used to prevent kickback. Again, used properly, plunging into the wood at full speed there shouldnt be any kickback. 

10 minutes ago, JosephThomas said:

Does it have a feature that keeps it from kicking back? I thought only the dewalt did.

I don't know for sure for bleedinblue, but my case was 100% user error. So no, the moral of the story is not to spend more money. The moral of the story is to be less stupid. In my case, anyway.

I'm definitely assuming user error on my part, especially after the remaining cuts went so well.

And Festool Shmestool.  I can screw up no matter how expensive the tool!

8 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I found this

Sure. But the stops would work fine on a makita track I bet...if not I bet I could find or make one for less than the cost of your saw's power button.

I don't know why we're still talking about this. Obviously the festool is super nice. Obviously the makita costs less, and works well for the cost. Not competing here, just trying to get you over amped up I guess, haha.

1 hour ago, shaneymack said:

Really happy to see you guys are starting to catch on....

I think the stops are for when you want to make a cut in the middle of a panel and limit the saw travel. It gives you the starting point and ending point of the cut.  Ive never heard that they are used to prevent kickback. Again, used properly, plunging into the wood at full speed there shouldnt be any kickback. 

When placed at the back of the saw, they limit the ability of the saw to move backwards, which will prevent kickback.  I will try to find a video stating this, but below is the description of the rail limit stop.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/festoolset-backstopforfs2guiderail-2.aspx

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I have no track saw, so forgive my ignorance...don't most of them include a riving knife, which should prevent any climb cutting, therefore kickback?

They do, but they are spring activated to engage into the kerf of the cut. In a plunge cut, you dont have a saw kerf for the riving knife to spring into until you cut a few inches. I take it his kickback happened 1-2 seconds into the cut.

I agree the stop isnt specifically anti-kickback, but it does serve to keep things from getting out of control. 

• Like 1

I have had a minor amount of kickback with my tracksaw, but only when I try to one-hand the cut.  Like I said early, you need to push forward a bit as your are plunging, or else the teeth of the blade will engage the top of the board and start to move backward.  You need to apply some forward linear pressure to counteract that.  

Why would I try to operate the saw with one hand?  Because that ultra-ribbed hose tends to grab on the board so I was holding the hose to guide it away from the board.   If you have ever been to germany you know they are the kinky type - maybe that is why the hoses have so much ribbing. 

• 2 years later...

Fast forward two years.  

I don't use this saw much.  Mainly for cutting sheet goods, and that's just a few times a year.  

A couple days ago I was using Marc's method for cutting the tenon for the Roubo end cap.  While clearing out the waste, another kick back.  No injury and I didn't really feel I was in danger, but I chopped the track up some more and REALLY cut into my confidence with this saw.

I'm as human as the next guy, but I am not careless in the shop.  I felt no awkward movement before the kickback, and I wasn't doing anything the saw shouldn't be able to do.  I didn't have the track clamped at the time, but I felt I was paying attention to balance.

20190224_185457.jpg

Not suggesting you stand on the saw as it makes a cut, but how firm are you handling the tool? There is a moment with just about all kickbacks--table saw, router, plunge saw, whatever--where you have a second to recognize what is coming and overcome it. Im not saying there arent 10% of cases where things happen suddenly and almost unavoidably, but for the 2 table saw kickback incidents ive had, i have overcome another 20. When im plunging the TS75 into the workpiece, im anticipating an upward kickback. Riving knife or no, that is just the opposite and equal reaction of the cutting force. 

17 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

TSC 55 on recon right now......

https://www.festoolrecon.com/

It's showing a sander now.  Just as well...I should cool the spending for a few weeks or couple months, lol.

4 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Not suggesting you stand on the saw as it makes a cut, but how firm are you handling the tool? There is a moment with just about all kickbacks--table saw, router, plunge saw, whatever--where you have a second to recognize what is coming and overcome it. Im not saying there arent 10% of cases where things happen suddenly and almost unavoidably, but for the 2 table saw kickback incidents ive had, i have overcome another 20. When im plunging the TS75 into the workpiece, im anticipating an upward kickback. Riving knife or no, that is just the opposite and equal reaction of the cutting force. 

I've felt those moments before on the tablesaw or a circular saw, when you know things are getting wonky.  I just didn't notice anything going bad with either of these kickbacks before they happened.  I'm sure something happened,  but I didn't feel it.