How to hang art on a wood panel

treesner

What would you guys suggest for hanging an art painting painted on thick plywood (1"-2") Would like it to be fully flush with the wall and also easy for a non woodworker to easily hang

I think a lot of pictures are done with wires attached to the frame and a simple nail or two in the wall. Maybe route out a long strip on the back so the wire would be inset?

I often use a wire, and a shop made wall mount clip (I'll post a pic later).  If the piece is heavy, I use a french cleat.  Check out my journal on "custom art frame" for using a french cleat.

As for having it sit completely flush, you may want to try a keyhole slot hanger.

If you want it completely flush I too would advise a keyhole hanger. The trouble with keyhole hangers is it is very easy to get it off center by a tiny bit and then the picture "wants" to tilt off of level. The solution is to use a picture hanging putty. You pinch off a little bit and put in on the back of the frame on one or more corners to hold the framed art level.

2" plywood ? Cleat hanging is the way I would go. 

If it is really 2" thick, and at least 18" wide, I would route a recess in the back for a french cleat. That sucker will be heavy, so the wall cleat should be screwed to 2 studs.

I like to make the wall cleat shorter than the object cleat, when possible. It allows some side to side adjustment.

If not so big, and perfectly flush is negotiable, maybe this:

http://www.rockler.com/extra-thin-flush-mount-1-x-1?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&sid=V9146&gclid=CNjqmqf57dACFYQdgQodWJ8Jog

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vinnyjojo said:

+1. More importantly you can't see the wall cleat if you visually catch it from the side.

Having done this, I go as small as I can get away with for the wall-mounted piece of the cleat. For the wall piece I go one half the size of the art, centered... and for the art mounted piece - three quarters the size of the piece, centered

It also creates a nice bit of shadow given one half to three-quarter inch distance from the wall.

Paint the edges and mating faces of cleat flat black, but don't paint the face surface that actually makes contact with the wall.... unless you want a black wall. Ask me how I know... I have the nuptial scars to prove it.

with the french cleat in the wall what kind of instructions would you give to the buyer for mounting? would you pre drill 4 holes spaced 16" a piece so it goes into a stud or no holes and let the buyer figure it out? 

23 hours ago, Pug said:

I often use a wire, and a shop made wall mount clip (I'll post a pic later).  If the piece is heavy, I use a french cleat.  Check out my journal on "custom art frame" for using a french cleat.

As for having it sit completely flush, you may want to try a keyhole slot hanger.

wasn't able to find it can you post a link?