Bubinga Lowbacks

shaneymack

He is saying to connect it to the floor because of the valuable wood. Im saying ill connect my Louisville slugger to someones teeth if they try thieving them

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

That and the sheer weight of them

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

So you're making bubinga dowels ?

I was going to but decided not to. After breaking one bandsaw blade, completely dulling two other bandsaw blades, breaking the ceramic out of my toy bandsaw and dulling my kapex blade and breaking two drill bits I didn't want to have to sharpen the blades on my dowel maker for two bubinga dowels lol. This 8/4 bubinga is some tough, angry wood. LoL

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Looking awesome Shane!  Will be interesting to see that transform when you do the sculpting!

Im going to put these things aside until spring so I can sculpt outside. I dont want everything covered in bubinga dust. As you are well aware, sculpting is messy business. This bubinga dust is the harshest I've ever breathed. Nose bleeds and sore throats have been common after my shop sessions. Im going to start the grandfather clock guild build next week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I was going to but decided not to. After breaking one bandsaw blade, completely dulling two other bandsaw blades, breaking the ceramic out of my toy bandsaw and dulling my kapex blade and breaking two drill bits I didn't want to have to sharpen the blades on my dowel maker for two bubinga dowels lol. This 8/4 bubinga is some tough, angry wood. LoL

Im going to put these things aside until spring so I can sculpt outside. This bubinga dust is the harshest I've ever breathed. Nose bleeds and sore throats have been common after my shop sessions. Im going to start the grandfather clock guild build next week.

I assume you're using a respirator?  Fresh cartridges?

• Like 1

I assume you're using a respirator?  Fresh cartridges?

I rarely wear a respirator unless im sanding or doing something that is spraying dust everywhere. I wore my respirator for almost two hours today though. No more bubinga dust for me.

Sounds like that wood has cut quite a swath through your equipment. If it isn't going to show who's going to know?

Exactly. At first I thought it would be cool to make dowel out bubinga and then i came to my senses. :-)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, shaneymack said:

I rarely wear a respirator unless im sanding or doing something that is spraying dust everywhere. I wore my respirator for almost two hours today though. No more bubinga dust for me.

Those chairs are looking awesome! Looking forward to spring to see you transform those bad boys!

I never used to wear a respirator. Only when doing really dusty work would I wear one of those flimsy dust masks. I usually ended up taking that off though because it would fog up my glasses. On a project a few years ago I was doing a lot of routing and sanding with western red cedar. By the end of that project I was having some respiratory issues/symptoms. Took quite a while to clear up. 

I now wear a respirator with particulate filters anytime I am in the shop milling, cutting, sanding or in any way creating dust. It seals up nicely and is fairly comfortable to wear. I also just snap in organic vapor cartridges when I am working with oils or other chemicals. Its just habit now, like hearing protection. That fine dust is really bad for you.

• Like 1

PS - Cute kid. How old, 4? 5? That smile would make anyone's day!

Thanks! He is a real sweatheart. He is our youngest he is 21 months old.....he's kinda big lol

The pen turner in me just cried a little. 

I hear you man. The problem is that most cutoffs are unusable. They are all very curved. By the time you'd get a square, straight piece of stock out of it there would be nothing left. I've kept all the straight cut off for small projects, pens etc.

• Like 1

For the arms, couldn't you make the blank just a bit taller & then get 2 arms out of the blank? I love this build, but ya, all the waste is tough.

Not really. The sweep of the arm from the bottom of the leg to arm connection to the back of the arm where it meets the back leg is around 6 1/2" high. So the blank would have to be at least 13" high. That would be difficut to cut the drastic left to right curve. Basically you'd be resawing a huge curve 13" tall.

• 2 months later...