Bubinga Lowbacks

shaneymack

I bet those safety glasses are pretty nice, considering mine only protect from wood straight on towards my eyes and are useless when it rains dust.  Then wearing a dust mask they just fog up instantly, probably wouldn't be a bad investment. 

Ya they are great. I look like a total loser but my eyes are happy.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Shane, Is this the blade you are using, with the flat top?

LM72M010_600x600.jpg

Ya its the FTG with perma shield coating

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000225UD/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481814930&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=freud+heavy+duty+rip

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

You're in for some fun.  I spent the night power carving out  the seat for a shop stool for the wife and I forgot how much of a spectacular mess it makes and how much fun it is.

With that said,  I'm not sure how much fun bubinga would be. 

Yeah the mess from the last one is what lead me to want to try the Ras115 for these chairs. Im sure it will be slower but atleast I will be able to collect maybe 70-80% of the dust. The reddish/pink bubinga dust is some nasty stuff !

Can't wait to see the finished product, how many bf are in one chair?  Was looking at the canadian woodworker(guy on IG) and he has plans for a bunch of chairs like that as well as other stuff.  Thought about buying the plans and trying to add onto it to make a fancy high chair for my son haha. 

Hey Joe I think there is probably around 25 bd feet per chair but you probably need like 40 to be sure because of all the waste. Lot of waste when selecting parts for the perfect match. Lots when shaping also. I bought around 92 bd ft to be sure.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I like the look of the chairs, but I gotta be honest I don't understand the arms....they look like they wouldn't be comfortable with that huge sweeping curve, like I am picturing my elbows feeling awkward from being so much higher than my wrists. Can anyone that has sat in one teach me why I'm wrong?

Or better yet, someone that has one, show me a photo of you sitting in it, focused on how your arms sit on the arm-rests? Everything that shows up in a google search never shows ppl actually sitting in the chairs ...apparently they are too gorgeous for actual use

Sorry JT, for some reason I thought I repsonded to this....

Anyway, I totally agree with you. I am curious to see how those arms feel. They look awesome but I don't get how it can be comfortable. I guess its like high heels, breaks your feet but its all about the style lol.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Hey Joe I think there is probably around 25 bd feet per chair but you probably need like 40 to be sure because of all the waste. Lot of waste when selecting parts for the perfect match. Lots when shaping also. I bought around 92 bd ft to be sure.

Sorry JT, for some reason I thought I repsonded to this....

Anyway, I totally agree with you. I am curious to see how those arms feel. They look awesome but I don't get how it can be comfortable. I guess its like high heels, breaks your feet but its all about the style lol.

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to seeing how you like them.  I was also meaning to ask, how are you going to use these chairs, are they for sitting at your dining room table?

8 hours ago, JosephThomas said:

I was also meaning to ask, how are you going to use these chairs, are they for sitting at your dining room table?

Good question, I really dont know. I just wanted to do some more sculpted furniture for fun and to make it even more fun, outta bubinga :). I thought about maybe putting them in our model house for clients when they meet with my wife. Maybe someone one day would say, "Wow these are amazing chairs! Im willing so spend 3000$ per chair, no problem ! " Then reality set in and I realized no one will ever buy these things so maybe they will just end up as shop chairs LOL. I guess I will see what happens when they are done. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...