Flutemaker

New Guy from North Carolina

Hi Everyone, I am from Laurinburg NC.I am a flutemaker and a woodturner.I enjoy making things with my hands and enjoy the outdoors. I know I will learn a lot here and look forward to helping others if I can!!

Thanks,MikeTurner

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums Mike.  wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of the flutes you have made.  We like pictures around here.

Welcome Mike ! I would love to see some of your flutes and how they are made. I have 40 years of woodworking experience but know little about musical instruments. I did build a lamp from an old student flute once.

Nice flutes, Mike! I was expecting to see the Plains Indian style "courting" flutes. Never saw a rim-blown flute. You play it by blowing across the end, like a bottle?

Welcome in, BTW.

Yes you play it like blowing across the end..iike a bottle.I play the Native American style flutes like the plains style.I just havent ventured off making them ...yet.....Just another learning curve....Just don't have enough time and I love woodturning bowls etc.too!

Welcome to the forum, I live near Charlotte, NC.  I saw your post and it reminded me of an episode of "A Craftsman's Legacy" on PBS about a woman named Geri Littlejohn who has been crafting Native-American style flutes for 20  years.    I was moved by her personal journey as well as her journey as a craftsman and artist.

Here is a link to a video description on the episode (on a pbs hawaii website).

http://pbshawaii.org/a-craftsmans-legacy-the-flute-maker/