Have you ever had someone else pay for you to take a class?

CandorLush

There is a class at a local school that I am drooling over, I have taken a few classes there and I work well with the instructor and have come a long way since I started. I want to really push the limit of my skills and he has a class to build the bottom part of the attached Queen Anne desk (next year will be the class for the top, desk is on display at the Met http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/10.125.81a/) that would absolutely fit the bill. The first main problem is that I don't have any space for something like this in my house, so I can't justify it as a need. The other is that I would be looking at around $1700 for each of the two classes, plus the wood, hardware and any tools I need and I could certainly end up putting about $6000 into it and that is a hard sell to the wife.

That said, I know of some folks who do have homes (and budgets) that a piece like this could find a home with and I am kicking around the idea of putting together a proposal where I offer to build the desk for them in exchange for them covering tuition and materials.

Has anyone here done anything like that before?

Carl

Displaying DP312838.jpg

2 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

I have no idea of the market price for a piece a like that one. That has to be taken into consideration. Your "patron" will be investing in you, and that involves risks (you may not finish the piece or poorly execute it). And risky deals will require high expectations of profit.

I think this might be my biggest hurdle along with the second part of Brendon's post: Am I confident enough in myself to convince someone else to have enough confidence that I could potentially double/triple+ their investment and are any of those numbers attainable. 

Let me get this right. So if someone covered my expenses for my brain surgery education, In return I would fix their brain for free? :P I might have to ponder that one for a while?

My suggestion, make one out of crap wood and keep it in the garage. Im sure you can find a use for it. Besides, you pour your heart into a project like that, be hard to sell or give away...it's your baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Ace- 

• Like 2