Shelf design question

CandorLush

Which option!?!?!?!?!  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Shelves

I posted this in my Journal Thread *here* but figured this would get more eyes so apologies for the duplication 

Question time!!! I need to figure out the shelf to fit in the lower section of my large cabinet, behind the shorter, veneered doors (the top will just have some notched cross members like a bed for the cage portion to slide on)

1) I have a piece of the ribbon stripe ply that is big enough but the grain is running front to back, not side to side

2) I have enough solid sapele to do the whole base with side to side grain. I would probably resaw it to 3/8"-1/2" and support underneath with secondary wood cleats

3) Since the shelf is only 6" off the floor, I could do a 6" strip of sapele along the front and a secondary wood for the rest, like a solid wood edge banding 

4) Obligatory Tom Iovino something else

I would save the Sapele for something else where it can be visible and use the remaining ply for the shelf that will be hidden behind closed doors. Hardwood shelf would certainly look prettier, but it seems like that wood can be put to better use somewhere else. The only time the shelf will be seen is when the doors are open AND the shelf is empty. So, basically only the day you deliver it.

F_Whitaker_Sapele_Small.jpg

-E

• Like 1