Stanley is buying Craftsman

43 minutes ago, Mike. said:

IBut the market functions perfectly if you ask me.  For any item you buy, you can find something at multiple price points and the quality is almost directly related to the price.   

Ryobi < B&D < Dewalt < Bosch < Festool  

I have had B&D power stuff and its all been replaced by Ryobi, quickly as it just did not last.  I'd say ryobi and B&D need to be switched on that chart of yours.  Also, Ryobi made the 1967 Craftsman router my granddad bought and  still use in my router table. 

Jeff in KC

2 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

What's happened it seems is that Sears(and others) lost track of this, tried to be something different and failed... and now here's Amazon following the same path.   Catalog sales, then opening up store fronts.   Amazon even has their own branded merchandise, it won't be long before they start selling their own appliances.

Agreed. Amazon took their original business model, and is perfecting it for the modern era. Though they didn't really take the Customer Service part with it.

49 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Amazon's business model (right now) is substantially different from a brick and mortar store (obviously).  Operating physical stores, anticipating inventory, merchandising, sales people, etc, it all becomes too expensive and, most importantly, people don't want to wander around 80,000 sq ft stores.

We're saying that they took Sears old Mail-Order business model, not the recent superstore model.

49 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I dont' know what you mean -  Amazon has amazing customer service as far as I am concerned.  User reviews are better than a salesperson's opinion and their return policy is excellent.  

Anecdotally, tons of shipping issues. Some returns are easy, and sometimes it takes 3 days of calls to get a refund on an e-textbook. Their site has been swamped with paid reviews and fly-by-night 3rd party affiliates are becoming the norm. They're fighting the paid reviews, but when they loosened their seller standards a couple years ago, it started a definite downward trend.

I wouldn't put user reviews under the umbrella of customer service. They are providing a platform for person-to-person recommendations.

51 minutes ago, miranthis said:

I have had B&D power stuff and its all been replaced by Ryobi, quickly as it just did not last.  I'd say ryobi and B&D need to be switched on that chart of yours.  Also, Ryobi made the 1967 Craftsman router my granddad bought and  still use in my router table. 

Remember, Ryobi in the 60's is not the same company you'll find in Home Depot today. That craftsman router was probably produced by the Japanese Ryobi company, which makes some excellent tools, as well as a wide variety of other components. The Ryobi name is licensed by TTI, the same Hong Kong company that bought Milwaukee in '05. Notably they also make Ridgid powertools under license (the original company still makes the plumbing stuff).

On 1/11/2017 at 3:27 PM, BonPacific said:

Remember, Ryobi in the 60's is not the same company you'll find in Home Depot today. That craftsman router was probably produced by the Japanese Ryobi company, which makes some excellent tools, as well as a wide variety of other components. The Ryobi name is licensed by TTI, the same Hong Kong company that bought Milwaukee in '05. Notably they also make Ridgid powertools under license (the original company still makes the plumbing stuff).

That is why (the connection to TTI and Rigid etc.) that the batteries on my ryobi stuff are so much greater than the crap B&D ones I had for years.  

Jeff 

Now this is interesting...

http://toolguyd.com/apex-tool-group-cuts-armstrong-and-allen-tool-brands/

The Craftsman stuff had been made by Apex.   I suspect it's the same plant that makes the Crescent brand stuff in China.

Article says they're going to refocus their US manufacturing plant that was making Armstrong an Allen tools and focus on Gearwrench.   Don't know much about that, other than apparently the Menards Masterforce brand was made at this plant.

I wonder if Apex was hoping to win the Craftsman brand?