Analysis Paralysis: Boxes & Hinges

Al Capwn

I would like to put together some simple boxes, but I am having a tough time deciding on what hinges to use. Anyone have a particular favorite or suggestion? Also, design question, when do you decide to use hinges vs. a press fit top? Jewelry boxes and humidors generally have hinges, but I'd like to start building up my design chops and understand when and why to use certain construction elements/hardware.

Extra brownie points for box building resources. Anyone have a favorite construction method? From what I have seen, mitered corners with keys or finger joints seem to be the most popular.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barron said:

Doug Stowe has a couple of excellent books on box making. They are on Amazon. 

+1 on Doug Stowe. I started with his Basic Box Building. I'd send you mine but I still refer to it on a regular basis.  It's the box bible! I've never never used the Horton brasses but can attest to the Brusso as being top notch!

3 hours ago, Al Capwn said:

I would like to put together some simple boxes, but I am having a tough time deciding on what hinges to use. Anyone have a particular favorite or suggestion? Also, design question, when do you decide to use hinges vs. a press fit top? Jewelry boxes and humidors generally have hinges, but I'd like to start building up my design chops and understand when and why to use certain construction elements/hardware.

Extra brownie points for box building resources. Anyone have a favorite construction method? From what I have seen, mitered corners with keys or finger joints seem to be the most popular.

I use dovetails mostly and use a Leigh jig (I have the little one, 12 inch). For box (or finger) joints, look up William Ng - he has a great video on building a jig and using your dado blade for a super good fit.

A book I have and like a lot if "Basic Box Making" by Doug Stowe. On Amazon, it's anywhere from about 7 bucks (used) to 14; it's a big paperback. He does a lot of miter with the spline joints and I agree with another post - pretty but not real challenging.

Hinges are a matter of design and personal preference. Or make some without lids, depending on size.

I'm experimenting with different ways to make interesting labels onto the wood, using a transfer method and some, burning the "fake" company name. Most of my boxes are repro "primitive" style and I use plain old nails sometimes - but the square headed ones like Rockler has that mimic the old time nails.

I made a few "friction-fit" boxes but I have gone over to using hinges most of the time. It's just a quirk but I like it that the lid is attached to the box.

I use Brusso JB-101 stop hinges on anything where it's appropriate.

I have one of Doug Stowe's books if you want it. It'll just cost you the shipping. PM me with your address if interested.

4 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Check outBritBoxmaker He does mitered veneered boxes.

Wow - that guy's work is impressive. Interesting method of construction too.

3 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Slide-off lids are another box option to explore. As are wooden hinges and integral pin hinges. Boxes can be a rabbit hole as deep as turning, so watch out!

I am noting that there are tons of options! It is a rabbit hole for sure - one of the main reasons why I figured I'd ask the folks around here. Seems like so far is to roll with whatever design you like. I like slide off lids too, to be honest.

2 hours ago, davewyo said:

I made a few "friction-fit" boxes but I have gone over to using hinges most of the time. It's just a quirk but I like it that the lid is attached to the box.

I use Brusso JB-101 stop hinges on anything where it's appropriate.

I have one of Doug Stowe's books if you want it. It'll just cost you the shipping. PM me with your address if interested.

Well, since it seems that Doug has been a solid recommendation, so if you aren't using it, I'll take you up on that.

• Like 1