White residue forming on end grain cutting board

Iliowood Designs

This is my first post and I'm a new member.  I was stumped when a customer contacted me about a end grain board I had made around 8 months ago, so hopefully someone out there can help me out.  The board is made from African Padauk, Ambrosia Maple and has Maple inlay.  I used the same technique for finishing as I do for every board I make, but this is a first for me.  I soak in mineral oil and then apply a homemade blend of mineral oil and beeswax.  The customer dropped the board off for me to take a look at and there's a white, powdery, residue that has formed.  He said they wipe it off and it's back a week later.  It comes of with zero effort and is located in random spots.  I read something about "bloom" or "fatty spew", is that what it is?  If so, why haven't I seen any other issues with boards that came out of the same batch?  I appreciate the help in advance and am happy to be a new member of the community!

Jsoh

16117288_10104923425802188_519985788_n.jpg

16128389_10104923427553678_2019020724_n.jpg

I tried to scrape it in a pile but it disappears since its so fine, its almost like a power.  I used a razor blade to see if I could get some up but same thing.  So, I took a butane torch to it and the residue dissipates.  When it does, there's no liquid (oily or waxy appearance) left behind, just looks like a normal board under the heat.  

On a side note, I'm no chemist either which is why I proceeded to wipe some off with my finger and taste it...don't judge haha.  No taste to it either 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, xxdabroxx said:

Could it be a mildew?  Is it powdery?  How was the board cared for?  If they washed all the wax an oil out of it then proceeded to let it get water logged I could see it mildewing. Looks to have a pretty open grain that could allow stuff to soak into it easier. 

It is powdery and comes off by a light touch of the finger.  They said it shows up once a week.  I'm waiting to hear back from the owner, the dad dropped it off since he had bought it as a gift for them.  He didn't give me much detail on it other than it comes back once a week, it's never been used, sits in the kitchen, and is for decoration only.  He also asked if I could seal it with something since they don't use it.

No expert here on wax, but really appears to be bees wax bloom. Happens to candles. I suggest you scrape it with a card scraper. Using a solvent to clean may drive the wax further down into the endgrain. Hopefully the mineral oil that's in the end-grain will help with that.

By the way, nice looking board.

-Ace- 

Instead of reinventing the wheel, what is so wrong having to wipe the board once a week, you used all natural bees wax. Shoot I dust my furniture once a week. :D 

-Ace-

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AceHoleInOne said:

No expert here on wax, but really appears to be bees wax bloom. Happens to candles. I suggest you scrape it with a card scraper. Using a solvent to clean may drive the wax further down into the endgrain. Hopefully the mineral oil that's in the end-grain will help with that.

By the way, nice looking board.

-Ace- 

Thanks, I appreciate that and the info!  Here's a picture of the whole board, the Padauk has darkened quite a bit since the last time I saw it.

16117343_10104923874083828_926635708_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

My best guess is wax residue.  

I'd wipe Naptha and let dry.  It will help remove any of the wax.  Don't worry, all the solvents will evaporate.  commercial waxes usually contain naptha or a similar solvent.  

Then I'd clean with TSP (tri sodium phospate) and let it dry.

Then I'd clean with plenty of clear water and let it dry.

Then I'd apply mineral oil (no wax) and call it a day.  

If you want to keep chemicals away from the board (which I kind of understand, although the things I listed are probably safer than a happy meal from McDonalds), scrub it thoroughly with hot water and a dish soap like dawn.  then rinse it thoroughly with clean water and apply mineral oil.  

Thanks, I appreciate the info.  I'm waiting to hear back from them and then will move forward 

On January 16, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Iliowood Designs said:

This is my first post and I'm a new member.  I was stumped when a customer contacted me about a end grain board I had made around 8 months ago, so hopefully someone out there can help me out.  The board is made from African Padauk, Ambrosia Maple and has Maple inlay.  I used the same technique for finishing as I do for every board I make, but this is a first for me.  I soak in mineral oil and then apply a homemade blend of mineral oil and beeswax.  The customer dropped the board off for me to take a look at and there's a white, powdery, residue that has formed.  He said they wipe it off and it's back a week later.  It comes of with zero effort and is located in random spots.  I read something about "bloom" or "fatty spew", is that what it is?  If so, why haven't I seen any other issues with boards that came out of the same batch?  I appreciate the help in advance and am happy to be a new member of the community!

Jsoh

16117288_10104923425802188_519985788_n.jpg

16128389_10104923427553678_2019020724_n.jpg

It's from the padauk I've experienced the same thing from a box I made from padauk.

It was also finished with oil.

I don't use Padauk anymore I don't like the color it turns over time.

Aj

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Just for everybody's info. I've just finisher making a chopping board and only oiled it with a food safe oil.  I also have this white bloom appearing on the board before it has even been used. I have not used any bees wax on the board so one can say "it can't be a bloom caused by the bees wax". Anyone have any further ideas...................