Incra fence

Dnorris1369

I have an Incra fence and one thing I really like it about it is that once you get it all set-up, it is dead on accurate and true to indicated size and will stay that way.  No need for test cuts, it is dead on repeatable within thousandths of an inch.  If you do a lot of work where you absolutely need precision to the indicated size, it can't be beat short of some kind of digital read out system. 

The only exception is if you use the micrometer adjustment feature and forget to set it back to zero.  Don't do that..  Put a note on a piece of masking tape next to the lock for a couple of months.  Also put a piece of masking tape with directions for which way the fence moves when you use the micrometer wheel so you don't go the wrong way.

The other thing I like about the Incra fence is also comes in a metric version.and they even sell a kit to convert to metric.

I also have a router table on the both the left and right side of the saw and the same fence can serve all three tools.

It is a bit more fiddling than a regular fence if you don't need to cut to high precision of indicated value.  If you do need cut to high precision of indicated value, then it actually saves fiddling.

I have the Incra fence with the 52" extension on my table saw. It takes a few hours of working to get used to the extra step of loosening and tightening the nut on the fence every time you move it. That was one of the issues that led our friendly neighborhood Wood Whisperer to get rid of his. It was not a deal breaker for me though and I don't regret the fence purchase at all. I picked up an order making mold boxes for homemade soaps and I needed something that was perfectly repeatable. This was just the ticket.

I've added a router table on the right extension wing of my table saw and Wonder Fence upgrade for the router. I've found that the repeatability of the Incra with a router table is where it really shines. There's no way I could ever set a Biesemeyer fence for a router, move it, and then bring the fence back to the exact same spot again within .001". With the Incra, I can do that all day long.

-E

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 1/24/2017 at 2:22 PM, Elroy Skimms said:

I have the Incra fence with the 52" extension on my table saw. It takes a few hours of working to get used to the extra step of loosening and tightening the nut on the fence every time you move it. That was one of the issues that led our friendly neighborhood Wood Whisperer to get rid of his. It was not a deal breaker for me though and I don't regret the fence purchase at all. I picked up an order making mold boxes for homemade soaps and I needed something that was perfectly repeatable. This was just the ticket.

I've added a router table on the right extension wing of my table saw and Wonder Fence upgrade for the router. I've found that the repeatability of the Incra with a router table is where it really shines. There's no way I could ever set a Biesemeyer fence for a router, move it, and then bring the fence back to the exact same spot again within .001". With the Incra, I can do that all day long.

-E

I have an old 1980's Craftsman saw and it works fine just has a horrible fence and was going to invest in the INCRA TS-LS.  My question is 32" or 50"?  I may want to incorporate their router table as well to my saw.  Do you like having all this on one table or would you think a separate table for routing is more ideal.  I have the space to stash the table but if it is more convenient to have it incorporated on the TS I would go that route.

I have the 52" version on my Delta Unisaw and I added the router table accessories as well.  I love the system, don't need that much accuracy on my table saw fence so I rarely use the micro-adjust feature for sawing but it is a dream to use on the router table section.  If you are using the fence for a stop for cross cuts the micro adjustment works well for accuracy.  Like someone else said you need to get used to the extra step of clamping down the front end of the saw fence after it is set (although I forget lots of times and the results are fine for ripped boards) and don't forget to re-zero the micro adjustment after you use it.  I don't use it much with all the dovetail and box joint templates, nice to have for small pieces but would be tricky with bigger boards standing on end.  I use the Leigh jig or hand cut dovetails.  The system is well built like all Incra products.  If you just want to replace your table saw fence for rip cuts then it is probably overkill!  

You can get the same accuracy and repeatability by installing a Digital Readout on your fence. It's easier to use, and cheaper too.

I have a Unisaw with a 52" Unifence and installed the Wixey digital readout on it. I added an additional piece of the read out rail and encoder strip, so that I can use my fence on either side of the saw blade the full length of the Unifence rail, and a piece of steel to each side of the Unifence main casting, lets me move the display to magnetically attach to either side of the fence. This allows me full use of the fence on either side of the blade. I can set the fence position to 1.000" and make a cut, then move the fence away from that position and then back to the same 1.000" reading and make a second cut. When comparing the board widths of the two boards using the same digital caliper, the difference between them is rarely off more than 0.004". This is way better needed needed when doing woodworking, and faster to use than an Incra or Jointech fence system at a price of about $150.

Charley

I think the incra fence is really slick, but can someone explain to me why repeatability is important? Why arent you running all your identical pieces at the same time? This applies for table saw, as it does for shaper, planer, and router table. Other than botching a piece and having to remake it, i dont put much value in repeatability. 

In the ideal world this is the way your projects should be made, but when a later machining task destroys a part, it's nice to be able to go back and duplicate a previously cut part without needing to remake all of them over in order to keep them all exactly the same. With precision capability, you don't need to make them all over again. Much of what I make is small, so measurement accuracy is more important to me than it is to a cabinet maker.  It's a real pleasure to be able to assemble a project and not have to trim or sand a piece so it will fit together perfectly. It saves considerable assembly time too. I have added digital readouts on my other tools too.

Charley

The Incra system is a methodology.  There are a few such choices one makes while wandering the woodworking road.  Do I want to use a CMS, a hollow chisel mortiser, a scroll saw?  There is no right answer.  Its just different ways of doing a task or getting what you are after.

I use DRO's on the tablesaw and the planer and find repeatability to be easy.  The sawtooth positioner is very repeatable and lets the Incra do some pretty trick stuff that looks fun.

I use my full rip capacity often enough that I want that area clear for use.  I do not have the available space to send the carriage extrusion past the right end of my saw but, that is just the way my shop is laid out.  I could probably adjust around it.

The system is well made, does some cool things and enjoys a loyal following.  Just be sure to factor in that with the fence at the extreme right position the majority of the carriage rail is extended out past your saw's footprint to the right. Kind of like figuring out the footprint on your jointer by taking the carriage travel into account.

Incra TS.JPG