"Blended Grain" Butcher Block Counters

brianb

Hi All,
I have a twofold question. First is how to describe a butcher block style counter-top, and the second is advice on how to construct it.

I’m talking about the style where boards are cut to various lengths then ripped and glued up with edge grain sticking up. (Pictured below) Boos and some of the other manufacturers refer to this a “Blended” grain, but I can’t seem to find any info on this in the woodworking world.

My second questions is that I’ve made a few cutting boards this way with some success. Now I want to glue up a tabletop using this method, but was wondering about using a finish nailer, instead of clamping a few strips togther at a time. Is this a bad idea for any reason? I’ll need to make sure I avoid any areas that will be cut, and the outside strips will need to be clamped, but is there any reason to think I can’t put 2-3 finish nails in each strip to speed up the process?

booz.jpg

welcome to the forum brian, first, how big is the countertop going to be, width, length? and how thick are you planning to make it? you will want to assemble it on something that is flat and the length and width of your countertop, unless you have access to a wide planer or sander you will want to keep the pieces as flat as possible to reduce your sanding time and effort. you could nail them i suppose but i think biscuits or a domino would be a better option as long as you keep track of where they are so none are exposed when you cut it. you're going to want to use clamps and cauls to keep it flat and to pull the pieces together , i don't think finish nails will do that for you. do it in sections as that would be a large glue up to handle all at once.

Hey Tree SLayer,

Thansk for the response!
The table top is about 32"x46" and will be 1.75"-2" thick. My plan is to build it in 3 to 4 sections 8 to10" wide. Plane those separately. then glue them all together to form the final piece. 

As for the assembly, I do have a table that is pretty flat, but needs to be reinforced before doing this. My thoughts with the finish nails was to clamp each piece into position with glue, then put 2-3 finish nails to hold the piece remove the clamp and move to the next piece. My hope is that this will hold it tight enough to not move, once it's cauled/clamped into position. 

sounds like it might work, pre-drill for the nails, countersink them, move to the next piece, do whatever size section you can handle and clamp it all up, as the glue dries it could expand the joints and remember most glues have anywhere from 10 minutes to a half hour before they begin to set, good luck.

It sounds like a challenging project, but my concern would be the end to end joints in your random length pieces.  All of the commercial butcher block counters/tables that I have seen  cut a finger joint to join end to end to create a strong joint.  While I am sure a commercial shop has an easier way to cut those joints, I have tried to do it on  my  router table and failed miserably.  I used a bit similar to this.  (borrowed from the web)

Image result for router finger joint

• Like 1

Hey Barron,

Thanks for the input. Curious if your concern with the nails is structural or aesthetic? I ask because my plan would be to clamp and glue the outermost rows which would cover up the nail holes on the inner pieces.

Just Bob,

I'm not as worried about the strength of the end to end joint seeing as it will be sandwiched between two face grain to face grain joints 12"-18" long. I'm more  concerned about making that joint fit as well as possible. Also, my table-saw doesn't hold a perfectly straight edge for very long after tuning (difference is only visible when two pieces are laid end to end, thus doubling the  error). I've found that I can flip flop the pieces and they match perfectly and are too small to see that the angle is off slightly. I included an image outlining this, but the angle in it is exaggerated. In terms of workflow, I'm thinking trying to cut, fingerjoint then glue up these pieces wouldn't be worth the added strength. 

Example.jpg

2 hours ago, brianb said:

I'm not as worried about the strength of the end to end joint seeing as it will be sandwiched between two face grain to face grain joints 12"-18" long.

I get that, and maybe strength is the wrong term.  Titebond will be sucked into the end grain and the bond itself will be weak at those places.  Whether that affects the overall strength I don't know.  It would concern me.  Plus you are a better man than me, if my table saw continually failed to maintain square I would bury it in the back yard with extreme malice:ph34r:

• Like 2