Storing rough turned green bowls

Barron

A question for you on storing the rough blanks while drying rough turned bowls.  Richard Raffan in his book "Turning Bowls" states that he stores the rough bowls in cardboard boxes until dry.  I have also heard of turners putting the rough bowl into a paper bag with shavings until dry.  So, what technique do you use?  Thanks for your input.

I've usually gone with the cardboard box full of shaving from the blank.    I've had pretty good results with this.   Trimmed a large maple branch from a tree I planted 35 years ago, and turned a blank from it the next day.   Stored it in a box for a few months and it turned out pretty good. 

I was surprised to read in Raffan's book that he doesn't put Anchor Seal or anything on after rough-turning the bowls. I believe he says something to the effect of, "if they are going to crack, I'd rather know sooner than later." I thought this was interesting because other turning teachers, like Mike Mahoney, suggest sealing rough-turned bowls. 

I've done the paper bag with shavings with good results... Paste wax inside and out also seems to work well... easier to get than Anchor Seal.  I've actually used 5gal buckets with shavings for the first few months and then transfer to paper bags for a few more.  You won't save em all... some will crack, that's why they make epoxy resin and transient dyes :D