Abranet - Oh Yeah

prov163

I like abranet.  But be forewarned, the velcro pad in your sander will wear out quickly.  Before you know it nothing will stick.   I save abranet for the higher grits for that reason.  

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

I like abranet.  But be forewarned, the velcro pad in your sander will wear out quickly.  Before you know it nothing will stick.   I save abranet for the higher grits for that reason.  

I was going to say the same thing - that stuff kills the "hook" on the  pad on your sander.

Other than that it's great

46 minutes ago, HuxleyWood said:

Friction, heat, rinse and repeat.  All hook and loop pads are wear items but Abranet tends to speed up the destruction.  

My theory is that since the abranet pads are a mesh they allow the "tips of the fingers" of your hook and loop pad to get worn away. After going through a few of boxes of abranet my sanding pad was shot

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 1/30/2017 at 7:14 PM, Mike. said:

On my refinish project, I've done a great deal of sanding with 60 grit, much more than I expect to be doing with the finer finish grit.  I rarely do woodworking, but isn't this the norm; more sanding on the rough end than on the finish end?

19 hours ago, wdwerker said:

Once you learn how to sharpen a card scraper the finish if leaves trumps almost any abrasive.

Might not be the fastest method but the quality is world class.

I find scraping and light sanding much faster than starting my sanding at 100, 120.....up to 220 grit paper.  If I get my scraper sharp I can go right to light 220 sanding, ready for finish!