Wood Working as Therapy

rodger.

I don't have a J-O-B to recover from anymore but there are still times when it is the place to be.  Sometimes if there isn't a project going on I might go out and use a hand plane on a scrap of wood or maybe sharpen a couple of chisels or plane iron that needs attention. 

• Like 2

I have a stressful job so my shop time is absolutely therapeutic. My wife has a job that requires she be at work around 5 AM so she goes to bed about 9PM. Next 2+ hours are in the shop with tunes playing. Doesn't matter whether I'm working on a project, cleaning or doing shop maintenance, it really helps. 

• 1 year later...

I signed up for this site because of your comment, which I understand. I developed medical problems ten years ago, after I retired. I often wonder how I’d cope without woodworking. Unfortunately, that will happen in the near future. But, for now, woodworking is a blessing. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2017 at 4:34 PM, Ronn W said:

I am in therapy quite often.  The lady across the street pulls out of her lawn by hand.  I head for the shop.

I was battling some "creeping charlie" weed and did that. It certainly is work, but it is kind of therapeutic, in much the same way that cutting the grass itself it therapeutic. There is something nice above seeing your progress clearly delineated by the lines of cut and yet-to-be cut grass. 

28 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Don't know how I missed this post when it was fresh, but sometimes I just go to my shop and sit.  Maybe half an hour, maybe more.  Sometimes I put the air filter on high just to block out the world.

Also, I can relate to that. Just being in there, cleaning and organizing is a good feeling, and it gets me more motivated to return and do something bigger the next time around. 

• Like 1

Woodworking is my oxygen. I'll die without it. My other passion is my orchid collection. When I am around beautiful things I am at peace. And beautiful things put a smile on my face. My current goals are to stay above ground, get nutrition, and keep a grin on my face. Woodworking and orchid growing make that happen with a bonus!

recent bloom...

fullsizeoutput_1c11.thumb.jpeg.d59585080a6258fab11e393233831de5.jpeg

• Like 1