Router in tablesaw extension?

Al Capwn

So I think I already know the answer to this, but I am going to ask...

I have a Dewalt 745 that is mounted into a Rousseau (PortaMax now) stand. Presently, I have a Ridgid router mounted into a Jessem benchtop router table. Now, I was attempting (key word) to make some practice bridle joints but the height adjustment of the saw is pretty coarse, and I cannot put a dado stack into the tablesaw. 

I was thinking of mounting a router into the extension wing of the tablesaw. My thought process was that I could use the tablesaw fence in conjunction with the router, and use the router to to act as a "dado stack", etc.

Thoughts? Downsides? Safety concerns?

i would be concerned with the workpiece wanting to tip while running it throught the router bit. I would make some kind of jig similar to a tennon jig that rides on the fence to keep the piece secured while cutting. also take shallow passes. As far as the router table extension goes,  that's how my shop is set up and It works, but when I move soon into a bigger space I will build a dedicated router table. hope that helps.

My router table is on the extension too.  I Haven't used the TS fence yet for this, as the table has a router fence for it, split front, DC, etc.  But I could use the TS fence in a pinch If I needed for dado's.  The only issue wold be getting the measurements off the TS fence.  But once I got those dialed in, it should work fine. 

I don't foresee too many safety issues compared to any other router table.  As long as it's mounted securely, it should be fine.  Obviously you can't use the TS fence to do work over the bit, you'd need a split front fence for that, but for dado ripping, it should be fine.  A couple vertical featherboards mounted on your TS fence should keep at least that side of the work piece flat on the table.