Venting Dust Collector Outside

pridmore

I did a quick, cursory search on this but didn't see exactly what I was looking for, so here goes...

I have a the cheap HF dust collector with a super dust deputy dumping into a 55 gallon plastic barrel. I currently have it mounted to a thrown-together cart that gets in the way and takes up too much space (my shop occupies 2/3 of my 3 car garage, or as I like to tell my wife: her car occupies 1/3 of my shop). The cart takes up about a 4' x 3' footprint.

If I mount the fan, dust deputy, and barrel vertically on the wall and jettison the plastic collection bag and crappy filter bag I can reduce the footprint to 2' x 2'.I have about 27" between the outer wall of my garage and the door rails/opening to my single garage door. That outside wall has a window about 3' from the proposed mounting location where I could vent the "fines" directly outside.

The potential issue is that this window is at the front of the house. I can handle the "unsightliness" by designing a removable fixture to remove when I'm not in the shop. My question is this: will the resulting dust make a mess that a quick once-over with the leaf blower can't clean up?

If anybody has experience with this, please chime in. Any other comments and opinions are welcome as well.

Just now, mds2 said:

If you have a heated garage your biggest problem is going to be blowing all your heat out the side of your house in the winter.

I really think that risk is overstated.  Unless you are running your DC for hours on end, it will only have a marginal impact.  Most of us only run the DC for a few minutes at a time while we are running a machine.

I keep my heat at 55, even if an overhead door is open for 20 minutes and it is 0F outside, I get back up to temp quickly and I don't even notice the difference on my gas bill.  

18 minutes ago, Mike. said:

I really think that risk is overstated.  Unless you are running your DC for hours on end, it will only have a marginal impact.  Most of us only run the DC for a few minutes at a time while we are running a machine.

I keep my heat at 55, even if an overhead door is open for 20 minutes and it is 0F outside, I get back up to temp quickly and I don't even notice the difference on my gas bill.  

I tend to agree with you.  I just see people bring it up when talking about venting outside and it is something to consider.  I actually just moved into a new shop and I plan on venting outside too. 

8 hours ago, Just Bob said:

I have the HF unit/SSD and vent outside.  The only time I have seen visible dust is when I stick a hose into a big pile of sawdust and even then the dust cloud is very thin and dissipates  immediately.  My reasons for doing this are the same as yours, I hated the space the mobile unit took up. Here is a pic.

DC.JPG

Thank you! Thanks what I was hoping to hear