Wanted: #7 or equivalent Jointer Plane

BonPacific

• 3 months later...
On 6/10/2017 at 6:02 AM, aengland said:

Are you still looking?

Yeah, though less actively.

4 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

I have a Stanley #62 low angle jack plane that has seen very little use.  Currently has a 25 degree bevel blade.  See my post in this section.

I've got a LV LAJ already, looking for something longer and a little lighter for jointing.

22 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Yeah...I'm not sure how you'd get longer AND lighter than a 62 unless you went woodie...?  Bench planes are heavier than bevel-ups.  My #7 is way heavier than my 62.

Talking comparatively from the LV LAJ, and in terms of usability. Yes  #7 is going to be heavier, but the casting on the LVLAJ is way heavier (over a pound if Google is correct) than a 62.

I have an old boat-anchor #7 which feels much lighter in the hand than my LAJ, even if it does outweigh it. Unfortunately it's not usable.

30 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Woodie!!!

Definitely something I've been considering, just haven't risked Ebay yet.

I like the extra weight in a #7 or #8.  When you're jointing you're typically taking very long strokes, and the extra mass helps you power through spots that might hang up a lighter plane, and therefore allows for a more fluid, continuous long stroke.

Once I bought my LN #8, my 7s get little use. Over the years, I've rehabbed several. If you want pictures, I'll be glad to send them. I also have a few long transitional woodies. These are much lighter and work just as well, though seasonal moisture can affect them. And, the bottom scar rather easily.

I really like the NOS Records.  I have some that I bought new, when they were still on the market, and have filled in holes for planes that I didn't have since then.  They are milled pretty good, are maybe a bit heavier than the old Stanleys, and I always felt like I could get the irons a teeny bit sharper than a Stanley iron.

The only downside is that the totes are a little chintzy.   They have squarish edges, and are not nearly as nice as the old Stanley Rosewood totes.   They aren't bad to use though.  I've spent many hours pushing them.

O1 is my favorite iron metal though.  If you like the harder metals, you might as well buy a LN, or LV bench plane, rather than put more money in a NOS Record.  I'm fine using them like they are.

It's not unusual at all to see one come up that is still in the plastic bag in the blue box, with Cosmoline still on the plane.  I bought a compass plane like that a year or so ago.